Errors preventing LinuxCNC from starting.

More
28 Sep 2017 14:16 #99551 by PCW
The easiest way is to download and install the Debian Stretch test ISO:

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreem...-uspace-amd64-r8.iso

This has the advantage that it contains the required uspace version of LinuxCNC, plus a recent Preempt-RT kernel
so is an especially good choice if you have newer PC hardware. It has the disadvantage that there may be some problems with some LinuCNC GUIs that depend on Glade (gmoccapy is one example)

Another way is to start with a Debian Wheezy distribution and install the Preempt-RT kernel and LinuxCNC uspace package:

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...th_preempt_rt_kernel

This is a better choice for older hardware, and should not have any GUI issues since is the same distribution
the current released version of LinuxCNC uses.

Yet another option is to install LinuxCNC from scratch on a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or Mint, here is a very long thread on this:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-or-deb?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: cintsa cnc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2017 15:00 #100145 by cintsa cnc
I have finally got the system up and running but the Ethernet board
lists an address of 192.168.1.121

According to the address on the machine it is "inet 192.168.10.101/24 and brb 192.168.10.255"

How am I able to change the address to match the board and allow Linux cnc created via the wizard to be operational?

More
10 Oct 2017 15:02 #100147 by cintsa cnc
I meant to say the address on the computer running Linux CNC, not the CNC machine

More
10 Oct 2017 15:59 #100151 by andypugh
192.168.1.121 is the default IP of the Meas Ethernet cards. Are you sure you are looking in the right place? (And what are you actually looking for?)

More
10 Oct 2017 16:11 #100153 by PCW
192.168.10.101/24 is the host computers IP address range for connection to you local network,
probably assigned via DHCP.

The FPGA card cannot share this range and must have an independent connection and IP address range. That is, you cannot share the real time LinuxCNC Ethernet connection with general internet connections so if you want internet connectivity you must have 2 network interfaces on the host.

This can be done in a variety of ways. Some Motherboards have 2 Ethernet connections, an additional PCI/PCIE Ethernet card can be installed, a USB-->Ethernet dongle, a USB-WIFI adapter etc etc.

Once this is done you need to setup one network interface for internet access (this should normally be the USB/external card) and the other (usually motherboard) interface for connecting to the FPGA card

I would suggest using the FPGA cards 10.10.10.10 address rather than 192.168.1.121 as its less likely to overlap with common DHCP assigned NAT address ranges

There is a bit of information about manual network setup in the hm2_eth manual page. Note that this is not really linuxCNC related but just standard Linux network setup, I typically just set up the interfaces with the network manager GUI

More
10 Oct 2017 16:13 #100154 by andypugh

I typically just set up the interfaces with the network manager GUI

I don't think that you get one of those with Debian.

More
10 Oct 2017 16:57 #100155 by PCW
I think its on all Debian derivatives (its certainly on Wheezy)

More
10 Oct 2017 18:57 #100159 by andypugh
Intere4sting, it is on my Stretch PC too. I am pretty sure it is absent from my actual machine PCs.

More
17 Oct 2017 16:45 #100482 by cintsa cnc
Thank you for your support. I have found the GUi and entered the address mentioned, 10.10.10.10 but it also requires a net mask and gateway. how do i determine these?

More
17 Oct 2017 16:48 #100483 by cintsa cnc
I have also moved the jumper on the board to enable EEPROM in the hope that works but no luck so far.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds