suggestions for putting together a new PC for LinuxCNC

More
28 Sep 2017 15:38 #99560 by MAG45
I am finally tired of chasing gremlins out of my machine. I want to start from scratch and redo the entire thing myself so I know whats going on.

Starting at the computer, what is the recommended Motherboard and CPU to use, any additional components? Not sure what the computer i was set up with is, i think an old AMD, but its struggling to boot, sometimes have to reset 4 times before it boots into linux.

Can linuxCNC be run off USB yet or is it still Pport only? Recommended BoB's for 3 axis mill setup?

Thanks for any advice/help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2017 16:53 #99565 by Todd Zuercher
USB is not an option (and never will be).
Current practical interface choices are: parallel port, PCI card, PCIe card, or Ethernet port. (I like Mesa's hardware)
I think most newer Intel boards work fine. A 4 core Celeron (fanless) or Atom (fanless) have worked well for me.

More
28 Sep 2017 17:06 - 28 Sep 2017 17:10 #99566 by MAG45
Okay, is Intel preferred over AMD for Linux? I ask because I have an AMD fx6300 cpu somewhere in the closet. Is it better to get a board with a built in Pport, or is the a good PCIe card to add on?

A friend has a router running off USB using that other control software is why i asked about USB.

Which Mesa BoB setup would you recommend?

+1 for your Fiero avatar, I used to do engine swaps on them before my physical health tanked :( Still have my choptop in the garage waiting for me to put it back together.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2017 17:10 by MAG45.

More
28 Sep 2017 17:31 #99567 by Todd Zuercher
I'd love to find another '88. I rolled my '88 Formula the morning of my wedding day. Maybe some day if time and money allow. I still have that car in the pic, an '85 GT, out in the barn (and the remains of the Formula). I haven't driven it for years though.

More
28 Sep 2017 17:43 #99568 by MAG45
I have an 88 GT T-top here right now, A kid from China wanted be to do an engine swap in when I feel better. He got sent back to China and is considering selling it. If i could afford it I would buy all his stuff for myself!

More
28 Sep 2017 18:10 #99569 by Todd Zuercher
That pic was taken at the last auto-x I ran it in. The car is stock and in the pic the RF front tire is about an inch off the ground. Boy those early cars really needed a rear anti-role bar.

More
28 Sep 2017 18:18 #99573 by MAG45
Ya, I added one to mine when i swapped the engine, made a Huge difference!

I Emailed Mesa, asking for their recommendations on a BoB, Their site is a bit hard to navigate when you dont know what youre looking for.

More
28 Sep 2017 18:36 #99575 by Todd Zuercher
Do you want to control step motors or servos?
Will you have a lot of digital I/O? About how much?
Do you want to do this as cheap as possible with software stepping through a parallel port?
How fast do you want the machine to be? How high of resolution?
Do you want/need high speed encoder counting?

These are all questions you need to answer when trying to choose your control interface hardware.

More
28 Sep 2017 18:53 #99577 by MAG45
this machine was put together years ago by a friend but has never been reliable and is a wiring mess. It uses stepper drivers, g201s iirc, and nema 23's on reduction pulley drive belts. Speed is not a concern, spindle is belt driven, eventuaully i would like to change to variable speed control. I have a mist coolant system, e-stop, and limit switches. It is a 3in1 mill/lathe. I have made a encoder disk for the lathe spindle and would like to set it up so I can thread, Thats all the I/O i can think of.

More
28 Sep 2017 19:08 #99579 by Todd Zuercher
A 7i96 looks like a good option for a basic stepper machine. If you need more io a 7i76 plug-n-go kit or 7i76e would have about 3x the io.
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...rt=p.price&order=ASC
I've never used one, and I haven't seen a lot of discussion here about setting one of these up.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds