LINUXCNC + DELTA DVP15MC via ETHERNET

More
12 Feb 2021 09:24 #198506 by AlessandroT
Good morning,
Do you think that will be possible to use linuxcnc with a DELTA DVP15MC PLC hardware via an Ethernet communication?

Try to figure out this task, will be a challenger job for someone over there that want to help us?

If someone is interested to make us a quotation, please he can contact me via PM or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Thank you in advance

Manual:
drive.google.com/file/d/1kRg3px3ktIvnoq5...0W1/view?usp=sharing

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 13:25 - 12 Feb 2021 13:26 #198530 by rmu
I don't think it makes much sense to include communication with a separate motion controller into linuxcnc. Even then it would be a complicated task with (at least to me) no obvious benefit.

What should be possible is to talk to the Delta Servos directly via ethercat.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2021 13:26 by rmu.

More
12 Feb 2021 14:37 #198537 by AlessandroT
Thanks RMU for your feedback,

As I'm a bit confident with the flexibility of linuxcnc, for this reason, I'm a bit scared to start from zero with new solutions.
The goal is to use CANopen communication with 9 axes and linuxcnc, but I don't know which hardware and configuration are ready out of the box to manage 6-9 axis with linuxcnc and CANopen.
Do you have any advice to do it?

Thanks in advance

More
13 Feb 2021 15:20 #198681 by Roiki
Linuxcnc doesn’t support canopen. You’re either looking at the wrong motion controller or you have to build a canopen stack yourselves,

More
13 Feb 2021 17:11 #198696 by rmu

Thanks RMU for your feedback,

As I'm a bit confident with the flexibility of linuxcnc, for this reason, I'm a bit scared to start from zero with new solutions.
The goal is to use CANopen communication with 9 axes and linuxcnc, but I don't know which hardware and configuration are ready out of the box to manage 6-9 axis with linuxcnc and CANopen.

AFAIK not possible out of the box.

Do you have any advice to do it?

Either get ethercat drives or get appropriate interface hardware for step/dir or the analog +-10V interface of the delta drives.

More
13 Feb 2021 21:27 #198731 by AlessandroT
Let's say that we will change the version of the ASDA-A3 driver with the appropriate ethercat version.

At that point can I be able to talk directly from a PC to the drivers via ETHERcat?
If yes, there is a guide or a video somewhere for a newbie in ETHERCAT connections that we could be addressed?

Thanks in advance
Kindly regards

More
14 Feb 2021 18:23 - 16 Feb 2021 20:18 #198824 by rmu

At that point can I be able to talk directly from a PC to the drivers via ETHERcat?
If yes, there is a guide or a video somewhere for a newbie in ETHERCAT connections that we could be addressed?

I can't help with ethercat, but there is this forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/22346-ethercat-hal-driver forum thread. Maybe ask there.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2021 20:18 by rmu.

More
18 Feb 2021 11:57 #199241 by andypugh

Linuxcnc doesn’t support canopen.

It doesn't _currently_ support CANOpen.

I think that adding it would be good.

What suitable hardware exists? It would need to connect to the PC hardware by a realtime-capable link.(ie, not USB)

There has been some discussion about using SocketCAN as a shim layer between LinuxCNC and CANOpen on the LinuxCNC mailing list.

More
18 Feb 2021 14:25 #199257 by Roiki
You can add that to the pile of things people _should_ do. You just need to find the people willing to do it.

The easiest and cheapest hardware is RPI with SPI can interface ic(there are guides for this). PCIe can cards are kind of expensive. Then its just a quesion of creating RT capable drivers for them.

More
18 Feb 2021 14:28 #199258 by andypugh

You can add that to the pile of things people _should_ do. You just need to find the people willing to do it.

I am fully aware of that, having written many of the existing drivers.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds