Serial communication for Encoder Feedback

More
23 Feb 2021 23:56 #199900 by Hamel2020
Hi ...

I’m trying to communicate a Delta servo motor with Ormec Servo drive , but always I got F7 error , due to Feedback error .
I’m trying to connect the DB9 (feedback from delta servo motor ) with DB15 infeed for servo drive …
As we see I have two wire T+,T- ( I think RX , Tx) , Any body have an idea to advise …

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 00:29 #199903 by tommylight
From the info you provided, that is not possible, not the same type/wiring/communication/signalling.
Not sure what is drive and what encoder type, so no further advice for now, more info or pictures would help.

More
24 Feb 2021 00:45 #199906 by Hamel2020
Thank you tommy ...

The servo drive is Ormec , and the servo motor is Delta .. As I check in the manuals for both ,
1. serial communicate ,
2. Differential signals
attached some photos
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2021 00:46 #199907 by Benb
Did some googling I found out that Delta B2 is a servo drive/amplifier not servo motor. I suggest you have a closer at motor name plate and do some googling to determine the type of encoder you have mounted on the servo motor.

More
24 Feb 2021 00:51 #199908 by Hamel2020
Hi Benb ,
Yes , Delta B2 is a servo drive , but it is compatible with the delta servo motor , I attached the photo ... ECMA type ..
I did a lot of searches , but I do not know how to get them communicate together ...

More
24 Feb 2021 00:58 - 24 Feb 2021 01:13 #199910 by Benb
from the Delta manual I just had quick look at the encoder is based on some serial two wire connection. However your drive is ABZ and ABZ complement. so they are not compatible.

Try to find an incremental encoder that would fit inside the existing encoder housing, least expensive option.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 01:13 by Benb.

More
24 Feb 2021 09:11 - 24 Feb 2021 09:12 #199946 by arvidb
On a related note, is there some standard for serial encoder signals?

I have Omron servos with serial encoders, and I just assumed the protocol is proprietary. But these drivers also support "fully-closed control" with linear scales connected directly to the drives, in addition to the motor encoders. There's a list of supported encoder types:

* "Encoder with 90° phase difference output" (I assume these are the normal "parallel" ABZ type encoders)
* "Incremental encoder with serial communications" (examples: Sony SR75, SR85)
* "Absolute encoder with serial communications" (examples: Mitutoyo AT573, ST771A, ST773A; Sony SR77, SR87)

This site lists the manufacurer of SR75 as Magnescale. Bought by or split from Sony perhaps?

Protocol (SR75) : Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic, Yaskawa Electric
Output signal (SR75) : Incremental serial bidirectional signal, compliant with EIA-485

At least then it seems there's some kind of internal standard shared by these corporations? - Alas, no: looking at the detailed spec for SR75 the type designation is different for Mitsubishi, Panasonic, and Yaskawa support, respectively. :(

Hmm, I wonder if the Omron drives then supports all of these protocols?
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 09:12 by arvidb.

More
24 Feb 2021 10:05 #199951 by Aciera

On a related note, is there some standard for serial encoder signals?

There are indeed standards but the problem is that there are many. Some are open source like SSI and BiSS but I'd say most are proprietary. There are standards for Profibus, DeviceNet, Interbus, CANopen, EtherCAT, Profinet ...
Then you have manufacturers who don't want you to use encoders from other manufacturers and so they use their own closely guarded protocols they like to change slightly from one generation to the next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, Clive S

More
24 Feb 2021 10:50 #199954 by chris@cnc

Hmm, I wonder if the Omron drives then supports all of these protocols?

pretty sure no. I dont know the omron driver but, serial communication and differenz signal are complete different.
Serial encoder data are packed and inside are individual functions of maker. To read this data it s neccescary to know the data inside and mostly only maker know this.
Second thing some serial data are wired with 4 cable two data two clock rate. Some with two one data one clock. I try to understand this but it seems my mind is not enough.
Result for me: buy driver and servo from one maker it saves much pain.
And Scales with differenz signal could you connect if your driver allowed to input differenz signal. Marked with A,A/ B,B/ Z,Z/

More
24 Feb 2021 11:45 #199961 by tommylight
@Hamel2020
Forgot to mention, wiring stuff like that and hoping it works usually ends up in smoke and expensive paper weights.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds