Any training videos?

More
26 Sep 2010 01:47 #4342 by pencilneck
I'm so completely lost in trying to figure out pretty much everything. I've built my own CNC mill and I'm to the point where I'm testing it out. I've gone though the setup and have that figured out, and I can home my 3 axises, but beyond that, I'm very lost. I've read over the documentation and I'm not really making heads or tails of it, and I can't find answers to questions I have.

Are there any videos that cover the basics for newbies?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2010 10:48 #4346 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Any training videos?
Are you looking for the basics for machining, for g code or what?

What questions do you have?

John

More
26 Sep 2010 11:34 #4348 by pencilneck
Replied by pencilneck on topic Re:Any training videos?
The basics of machining I'm finding videos for and have learned a bit. Right now the thing I can't figure out is when I load an example up in ECM2, it always places the design in the lower left corner of my workspace. The designs show extending beyond the work space I have. How do I move the design around so that it would be in the middle of my work space.

More
26 Sep 2010 11:59 #4349 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Any training videos?
I assume your using the Axis interface... you just use the mouse to pan and zoom. When a program is loaded all the feed moves will be displayed in the backplot area... do you have a tool change in the corner in your code that might force the zoom level, I'm not sure.

John

More
27 Sep 2010 14:51 #4368 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Any training videos?
pencilneck wrote:

The basics of machining I'm finding videos for and have learned a bit. Right now the thing I can't figure out is when I load an example up in ECM2, it always places the design in the lower left corner of my workspace.

You need to "touch off" the machine to the stock. So, for example, you might know that the G-code considers the top of the material to be Z=0, so you would slowly lower the Z axis onto a 10mm block (or a 0.5mm feeler gauge, or better still slowly raise the Z until a 10mm dowel pin rolls under) then in the Axis GUI select "Z", press "touch off" and type the test block thickness into the box.

More details about what is going on here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?CoordinateSystems

More
30 Sep 2010 04:19 #4423 by pencilneck
Replied by pencilneck on topic Re:Any training videos?
I've stumbled my way though and finally made some saw dust this evening. So I can make a snow flake. Once I get to where I understand what I'm doing a little better, I may end up making my own "crash course for the utter newbie" kind of video to help the next person. Andypugh, thank you, that was the one of many missing links for me.

Up next for me, G code and magnets, how do they work?

More
30 Sep 2010 08:07 #4426 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Any training videos?
pencilneck wrote:

Up next for me, G code and magnets, how do they work?

There are a number of G-code primers out there on the web.
This one, for example (though I am sure I have seen better)
a2wh.com/cnc/gcode-introduction.html

As for magnets, that is all done by pixies.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds