Importing PNG File, scaling in X axis is wrong?

More
12 Jan 2011 05:24 #6642 by seiferteric
I created a simple PNG in GIMP of a black rectangle on a white background. The units used in the image are inches and the x and y resolution are 72pixels/inch. The rectangle is 3.75x2.25 inches. In gimp, everything looks perfect, I can use the measuring tool to verify the dimensions. My goal is to use my mill to cut out a box of this shape 1/2 inch deep. In EMC, I open the PNG file and use the Image to gcode tool. I choose the appropriate values of Pixel size of 0.013888889 inches (1/72). When the file gets imported, the Y axis is fine, it is 2.25 inches in length. The X axis however is somehow shorter than it should be, only 3.5 inches. Of course I did not notice this, and already went through the milling process twice with the same results (luckily just cutting Styrofoam). I can't figure out why it is scaling the X axis wrong on the image. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Eric Seifert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2011 12:52 #6646 by andypugh
I am afraid that I can't help with the image-to-Gcode issue, as I have never used it.

Are you sure that the machine is correctly calibrated? What do the DRO readouts say during an air-cut?
Have you checked your axis movements with a dial gauge or caliper?

However, this particular application seems like a rather odd application for image-to-Gcode.
Unless the box is a very peculiar shape you might find something here easier:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Sim...MC_G-Code_Generators
Or the demo version of SheetCAM
www.sheetcam.com/downloads.shtml

More
12 Jan 2011 19:22 #6655 by seiferteric
Initially this is what I thought, but then actually looking at the screen, the total length of the box on the screen (in EMC2/Axis) was only 3.66 inches, so it could not be right, it would have to be at least 3.75 inches. I should note that after posting, I rotated the image 90 degrees and imported it and confirmed that now the 2.25 inch side is only 2.11 inches and the 3.75 inch side is not correct. I was using the "columns" mode. I then tried "rows" and this seemed to flip the issue, to the other axis again, so then next I used the original image again and did columns and rows, and now I think both sides are correct. So it seems to be related to this.

More
12 Jan 2011 19:52 #6656 by andypugh
Makes sense. Image-to-Gcode is only interested in the surface, not the edges.

Seriously, for this application you would be better hand-coding the G-code, or using that pocket generator on the link I posted.

More
13 Jan 2011 17:38 #6663 by seiferteric
Okay, good enough, I am fairly new to this and still trying to get a hang of the myriad of different software that is available and what is best for each purpose. Also, just starting messing around with hand writing g code, and its not too bad so I can certainly do that. The pocket generator looks to be exactly what I needed.

Thanks,
Eric Seifert

More
13 Jan 2011 18:39 #6664 by BigJohnT
Always test cut some air till you gain confidence in a program that generates g code...

John

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds