PnCConf Setup issue with the Spindle

More
16 Apr 2016 23:04 #73445 by PCW
The measured spindle speed goes through a scale (from RPS to RPM), absolute and low pass filter function, ending up as
the signal spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered but this is not connected to anything else in the base hal file. you may have to look at
the gui specific hal file section
The following user(s) said Thank You: twender

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 23:12 #73446 by twender
Thank you. Grasshopper will give it a shot.

More
17 Apr 2016 01:58 #73453 by twender
Here is the culprit: spindle-fb-filtered-abs-rpm was in the pyvcp_options.hal file
spindle-fb-rpm-abs-filtered replaced it, and now the panel works.

Also, I changed the pyvcp panel.xml file to reflect the expected top end of my RPM.

Next, Encoder work to make it match the speed.

More
17 Apr 2016 03:24 #73456 by twender
I have looked through several threads about encoders and spindles, but I cannot find what I think I need.
I have encoder counts, and they appear to be stable. I have speed in linuxcnc, but it is being reported incorrectly.
So, I need to understand how to adjust my ini spindle settings to ensure my encoder reports correctly for the spindle speed.

My spindle is 1:1 with the encoder. My encoder has 1000ppr with A, B, and index. All are working according to the scope even at high speed with the index being the trigger.

I do not understand clearly how to set the following:
[SPINDLE_9]
P = 0.0
I = 0.0
D = 0.0
FF0 = 1.0
FF1 = 0.0
FF2 = 0.0
BIAS = 0.0
DEADBAND = 0.0
MAX_OUTPUT = 4000.0
ENCODER_SCALE = -100.0
OUTPUT_SCALE = 4000.0
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = 0.0
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 4000.0

I tried to use PnCConf, but it did not appear to work like I expected. Are there known errors in PnCConf in the version I am using? If so, is there a manual method of setting up the encoder to report speed correctly? I can measure the spindle speed with a non contact tach I have.
If there are no known issues, I will try again tomorrow with more attention paid to the interface in the scale encoder section and open loop test. Please advise when possible. Thanks

More
17 Apr 2016 03:30 #73457 by PCW
a 1000 PPR encoder will have 4000 counts per turn so the encoder scale should be 4000 or -4000

More
17 Apr 2016 12:59 #73472 by twender
I woke up this morning realizing my PID info was not related to the encoder setup, but the motor. I guess I was tired when I asked.
Will change the encoder scale to -4000 and work on the gain and offset for the 0-10 output and motor speed relation.

Again, as before I appreciate the kind answers.

More
19 Apr 2016 03:03 #73579 by twender
I have the spindle working reasonably well in that I have the actual rpm within 5 to 10 of the commanded value. Is that fairly reasonable?

1) I would think the commanded versus actual is not a big deal as long as you have good actual speed being reported as needed for threading.Is this correct?

2) Also, does the filter for stabilizing the RPM in the display affect the actual or speed used in threading?

Thank you again for the direction provided.

More
19 Apr 2016 12:52 #73590 by andypugh

I have the spindle working reasonably well in that I have the actual rpm within 5 to 10 of the commanded value. Is that fairly reasonable?

I am of the opinion that you can be out by a factor of 10 and it wouldn't matter. What is the source of the "correct" spindle speed that you are aiming for? As long as the speed is consistent and aster is faster and slower is slower it will work fine.

1) I would think the commanded versus actual is not a big deal as long as you have good actual speed being reported as needed for threading.Is this correct?

Threading is performed on the basis of spindle _position_ and this does need to be accurate, but as you say, it works on the feedback value not the commanded speed. But it's the actual position of the spindle that drives the Z axis.

More
19 Apr 2016 13:33 #73593 by twender
The "source" is only a perception on my end as to what good is. I was playing with the offset and gain on my spindle input trying to match it as well as possible, but then I questioned my need of it beyond what I deemed reasonable. I am just getting comfortable with spindle feedback, and my little ah ha moment was realizing it could not matter if good quality threading or rigid tapping were possible.

Thank you for the clarification.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds