PnCConf Error with 7i80DB

More
23 Apr 2016 03:02 #73735 by CanadianNC
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and Linux in general so there may be a really simple reason for this error. I've managed to flash the firmware to the 7i80DB (2x7i77 and 2x7i74) and changed the ip address to 10.10.10.10 and that all worked. I then loaded up PnCConf and went all the way through the program setting up encoders and analogue signals using the 5i25 and 2x7i77 initial setup and at the end I got this:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/pncconf/pages.py", line 107, in on_button_fwd_clicked self() File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/pncconf/pages.py", line 1316, in finished_finish self.a.buid_config() File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 1533, in buid_config self.INI.write_inifile(base) File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/pncconf/build_INI.py", line 133, in write_inifile cmd =self["halui_cmd" + str(i)] File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/pncconf/build_INI.py", line 347, in __getitem__ return getattr(self, item) AttributeError: INI instance has no attribute 'halui_cmd0'

Can anyone let me know what's going on here?

Thanks!

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2016 11:02 #73741 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PnCConf Error with 7i80DB
I would take a guess that for some reason Pncconf thinks that you have set up a HAL_COMMAND but there isn't one to assign.

Has it managed to create any output files at all?

More
23 Apr 2016 12:09 #73745 by CanadianNC
In the home directory under linuxcnc and the name of my machine there's a .ini file, but it's empty as well as a tool.tbl. In PnCConf I did tell it I wanted to add Halui user interface components and to include Classicladder PLC because I wanted to learn to use that stuff, could that be the issue?

More
23 Apr 2016 13:11 #73750 by andypugh

In PnCConf I did tell it I wanted to add Halui user interface components and to include Classicladder PLC because I wanted to learn to use that stuff, could that be the issue?

Well, the real issue is that something in PnCconf hasn't coped well with something in the data.

I think the problem is likely to be that you have ticked the box for halui but not put any entries in the Cmd1 etc boxes. This is actually entirely reasonable, but may be confusing Python.

Try adding a command to Cmd1 (something like G0 Z0)
The following user(s) said Thank You: CanadianNC

More
23 Apr 2016 13:14 #73751 by CanadianNC
There was actually some stuff written on those boxes but I just unchecked the halui and the classicladder checkboxes and it generated all of the files properly.

Thanks for your help!

More
23 Apr 2016 14:31 #73758 by andypugh
You can put them in manually pretty easily, INI-file entries:

In the [HAL] section
HALUI = halui

and in the [HALUI] section
MDI_COMMAND = G0 Z0
MDI_COMMAND = M6 T0

etc

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-config.html#_hal_section

More
04 May 2016 02:35 #74207 by CanadianNC
I've managed to generate the hal and ini files for a 5i25 and 2x7i77 and I've done my best to convert them for use with the 7i80DB but now I'm running into the problem where LinuxCNC won't start because of all kinds of errors. I've solved some of them but I'm having trouble with one in particular now.

The Debug file information is:

./UVac_CNC.hal:9: parameter or pin 'hm2_7i80DB.0.watchdog.timeout_ns' not found
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND

Obviously there's a problem with the watchdog timer, I just have no idea what that problem is.

Does anyone have hal and ini files for the 7i80db that I could take a look at? I'm doing my best to convert the 5i25 but I can't find much information on the newer cards like the 7i80.

More
04 May 2016 10:57 #74215 by andypugh

Obviously there's a problem with the watchdog timer, I just have no idea what that problem is.

Which version of LinuxCNC? (Not that that should matter, I have looked and the parameter exists in 2.6 and 2.7 version.
However, it only exists if the Mesa card firmware has a watchdog function, and perhaps the current 7i80DB firmware doesn't have one.

Try commenting out that line for the time being.

You seem to have worked out where to look for the config errors, so it really is just a case of repeatedly trying to start the config and addressing the typos and mistakes one by one. If it makes you feel any better it took me 8 iterations on a hal file I wrote last night ;-)

To be absolutely sure you could insert a couple of linse in the HAL file above the troublesome line
show pin hm2*
show param hm2*
and then the error listing you get will contain a list of all the valid pin names at the point of the problem.
(is it possible that the watchdog line is actually being interprested before the 7i80 has loaded?)

More
04 May 2016 11:21 #74216 by CanadianNC
I'm running the latest 2.7 with Preempt-RT and uspace. At least I think I am, the uname -a returns the correct thing for preempt-rt but I'm not sure how to check on uspace...

I commented it out and now the error has just moved to the next line:
addf hm2_7i80DB.0.read servo-thread
Error:
function 'hm2_7i80DB.0.read' not found

I then put that the watchdog line back in and added those lines you mentioned and I get the headings for pins and parameters in the error file but there's nothing in the lists so I'm guessing it hasn't assigned pins or parameters yet.

Is changing the HAL file from 5i25 to 7i80 as simple as replacing all instances of 5i25 with 7i80DB and making sure that the hm2_eth is used instead of hm2-pci?

More
04 May 2016 11:27 #74217 by andypugh
It does seem like it is not finding the 7i80 at all.

Other than changing hm2_pci to hm2_eth you probably need to supply an IP address for the card.
(It is trivial to enumerate all PCI slots, and impossible to enumerate all IP address :-)

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/hm2_eth.9.html

Seems to contain some useful instructions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CanadianNC

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds