Procedure to change the stepgen default pins

More
03 May 2016 06:19 #74157 by epineh
Hi all, quick question, I have a 7i43 and would like to use Pncconf as much as possible before any manual editing.

My breakout board I am using (my own design) uses sequential step/dir pins for four axis, so I would like pins1,3 as Xstep/dir pins 5,7 for Y and so on until 13,15 for the fourth axis. The rest of the pins I wish to use for GPIO.

Pncconf defaults the stepgens to other pins, what I need to know is how to make it default to my breakout board.

Do I just get a firmware file that is close and edit the pins to suit? Obviously rename it to something relevant.

I don't expect anybody to do this for me, just a point in the right direction would be all I'm after.

Cheers.

Russell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 09:30 #74165 by gandalf
Hi,
I have the same card.
You have to compile the firmware.
The first time I used this wiki page wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Editing_MESA_Bitfiles
You have to configure your custom PIN_*.vhd, you can use other PIN files as example, and compile the source to get the bitfile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epineh

More
03 May 2016 09:58 #74170 by epineh
Eeek, I was hoping it would be as simple as editing a text file...maybe I just redesign my Breakout board, lol.

Thanks for the info, I will have a crack at it, hopefully nothing catches fire !

Russell.

More
03 May 2016 15:58 #74181 by andypugh

My breakout board I am using (my own design) uses sequential step/dir pins for four axis, so I would like pins1,3 as Xstep/dir pins 5,7 for Y and so on until 13,15 for the fourth axis.

Are you sure that none of the standard pinouts look like that?

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=hostmot2-firmw...bf98062a75dfdb28cf20

Looks close, when you consider that the even-numbered pins on the 7i43 are all gnd pins so IO0 is pin 1, OI1 is pin 3 etc,
The following user(s) said Thank You: epineh

More
05 May 2016 11:18 - 05 May 2016 11:19 #74266 by epineh
I had tried that but there was an even space between the stepgens so there was still a couple of IO in between, but after your suggestion I tried the firmware that created 12 stepgens, then input 4 as the number of stepgens and there they were all one directly after the other. Also it had PWM and encoder options so I just set them to 0 and I have the step/dir as needed and the rest is ready for GPIO.

Thanks for the heads up.

Russell.
Last edit: 05 May 2016 11:19 by epineh.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds