what are the disadvantages of not having encoder index signal on mesa 7i77 card

More
30 Jan 2017 06:18 - 30 Jan 2017 06:24 #86948 by reliantkill
what are the disadvantages of not having encoder index signal on mesa 7i77 card?
I am putting a laguna cnc mill machine together and when I finally got to connect the encoder cable to the 7i77 card
I realized that I have only A / B signal coming out of my encoder, and is single ended 500 ppr.
Now what? I am going to need to change the encoders or I can still use them without Index signal
help is encouraged!
the encoder is a BEI L25G-500-AB

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2017 06:24 by reliantkill.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 12:52 #86962 by tommylight
You can use it, of course, the only thing i know will not work without index is rigid taping, if that encoder is on the spindle. It would be nice if you can confirm this, as i am way to long without sleep so i might miss something.

More
30 Jan 2017 15:46 #86976 by PCW
That's correct, you need a spindle index for threading or rigid tapping
also for motion axis, the index allows more accurate homing

More
30 Jan 2017 15:52 #86977 by cncnoob1979
As tommy said rigid taping will not work for the spindle encoder if an index is not available. Also homing using index will not work as well. I have one encoder on my machine that the encoder does not produce an index which is not a big deal. I just use my home limit switches anyway.

I think that is the only "standard use" of index signals in linuxcnc, of course can be wrong. :)

More
30 Jan 2017 17:40 #86981 by reliantkill
My machine has Axis X,Y,and Z with single ended AB channels only. There is no encoder for the spindle yet, that I still have to get one to install it, so I will make sure the spindle encoder has the index signal in it. Thanks for the information.
In the configuration for the 5i25-7i77 does the system will keep on looking for the index signal, will this create an error? and do I have to disable the index signal somehow so the system does not keep on looking for it?

More
30 Jan 2017 17:56 #86984 by cncnoob1979
No it will not. It pncconfig will just create the links to the signal but it will be transparent to you.

This is the setup I use. 5i25/7i77.

Can give you my configuration if it would help.

More
31 Jan 2017 00:45 #87020 by reliantkill
yes I would like to take a look to your configuration
can you post it here or need to send it directly to my email?

More
31 Jan 2017 01:20 #87023 by cncnoob1979
I installed a HB04 pendant so a lot of my physical panel is disconnected. Anything with a # in front of it has been disconnected. Hopefully you can find something to help you in my mess :)

File Attachment:

File Name: custom_pos...1-30.hal
File Size:1 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: bridgeport...30-2.ini
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: bridgeport...1-30.hal
File Size:26 KB
Attachments:

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds