Mesa 5i25/7i76. Looking for some help.

More
23 Jul 2017 16:48 - 23 Jul 2017 16:50 #96315 by usert_l
Hello,

I purchased a Mesa 5i25/7i76 combo and have been trying to make it work in my CNC conversion for my lathe. I'm going through the PncConf setup and I now get stuck on the Test/Tune Axis window trying to figure out why I can't get any movements from my X-axis motor.

When I first got my board, only the X-axis motor was hooked up and I was able to move it like I want to in PncConf. I've now finished installing the Z-axis motor, a couple of proximity sensors for home/limit switches and the spindle output connection to the 7i76. I go through the PncConf again and this time as mentioned, the X-axis motor has no movement. The Test/Tune Axis page looks normal and I can see from the changes in rpm number, etc... that it was telling the motor to jog back/forth. I've checked the motor's cables and connections and everything look to be tight and secure.

Kinda scratching my head at this point. Anything else I should be looking for?
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 16:50 by usert_l.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2017 19:15 #96316 by PCW
One thing to check is that your step pulses are long enough
Often people choose the drives minimum timings when these are in fact just on the edge of not working

Unless the step pulse widths limit your maximum speeds, I would choose a step pulse
length at least double the drives minimum time

More
29 Jul 2017 19:19 #96654 by usert_l
Not sure what I did wrong but after several tries I had both X and Z motors moving. Something unusual I've noticed is that my X motor (moves the lathe's cross slide) moves noticeably much faster than my Z motor (moves the lathe's saddle). Both are configured to the same velocity and acceleration (1500 mm/minute and 750 mm/s^2). There is no mechanical binding that I'm aware off that would explain the much slower speed in the Z motor. I'm going to try swapping the motor and see if this "problem" continues.

Going through the setup I also see that you can change the Rapid Speed Following Error and Feed Speed Following Error. I think the default values (10 mm and 1 mm) are just too much for a lathe's precision, so I changed them to 1 mm and 0.1 mm. Do you think these values are practical?

More
29 Jul 2017 19:50 #96655 by PCW
If this is an open loop system, the following error limits only monitor how well the stepgenerator follows
the commanded position and can be set much tighter say .010 mm and .005 mm

Note that if you are using a pncconf generated hal file, you may need to set the PID maxerror setting to 0
to have a properly tuned stepgenerator control loop

More
31 Jul 2017 03:02 #96717 by usert_l
Thanks, I will try those values. I still can't quite figure out why my Z motor is so slow compared to the X motor going through the PncConf wizard. My lead screw is 10 x 1 mm (1 mm travel per revolution) and both motors' velocity were set to 1500 mm/minute, which should translate to 25 revolutions per second. Yet the Z motor was spinning at like 1 rev per second. This "problem" seems to have something to do with the motor. These are the Teknic ClearPath SD motors and I've run through their motor programmer software. They're working normally as far as I can tell. I just don't know how to troubleshoot more.

More
01 Aug 2017 23:10 #96867 by andypugh
If they are really running slower than commanded by LinuxCNC then you would expect them to carry on moving after the jog stops to make up the lost steps.

Perhaps the two drives are set up for a different electronic gearing (steps per rev)

More
02 Aug 2017 02:25 - 02 Aug 2017 02:26 #96872 by usert_l
I don't see the motor continue to move after I stop the jog buttons. They are both set at 800 pulses/revolution, same setting used in PncConf wizard. The thing is both motors behave the same when plugged into their programmer software. The recent motor I bought was about maybe 6 months after the first, so they don't come from the same batch... perhaps there has been some minor changes made in between that time? Maybe I should contact Teknic to see what they say. :(
Last edit: 02 Aug 2017 02:26 by usert_l.

More
02 Aug 2017 02:32 - 02 Aug 2017 02:32 #96873 by rodw
If they are the same motor maybe swap them over and see what happens. That should isolate whether it is hardware or software.

Personally I'd say its time to get acquainted with hal and ini files and compare the ini file settings for the two joints. I could never get any thing done in pncconf so did all of my config to my 7i76e by hand
Last edit: 02 Aug 2017 02:32 by rodw.

More
03 Aug 2017 03:02 - 03 Aug 2017 03:09 #96956 by usert_l
Yes, they are same exact model. I had swapped them before and just tried again, the slow one always spin slower than the fast one no matter which axis I plugged it into. So I'm suspecting it has something to do with the motor, its internal firmware or something along those lines.

Maybe I should just completely go through PncConf wizard and finish it. Then see if anything changes. I don't know.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 03:09 by usert_l.

More
03 Aug 2017 08:35 #96967 by rodw
I thought Teknic gave good support. Maybe contact them. Have you set the motors up using their Windows software?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds