Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.

More
03 Sep 2017 20:05 #98431 by rodw
There is no place for pncconf for you anymore. You need to be editing your files manually as you are too far advanced with your setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2017 20:16 #98432 by tecno
Yes it is so, problem is that all fine documents are so loaded with information so it is more like jiddish for me. Too many parameters and lack of samples makes me asking a lot of dummy questions as I can not wrap my head around all this, but at the end I am sure all problems will be sorted out with all help from you guys here.

More
04 Sep 2017 06:48 - 04 Sep 2017 06:49 #98439 by tecno
Peter, can you be so kind and answer to questions marked in bold

I did go back to basics and teared down the encoder from my Lathe = 5V Omron E6C2-CWZ6C and verified it is working OK.

Done following tests, board #1 is the one for Lathe and has been here in my lab only and board #2 is the one in my milling machine.
New simple pncconf just for this test. num_encoders=1

Board 7i76e #1 with encoder in normal pins on 7i76e = NOTHING, connected 7i85S and moved connector to 1:st encoder = ALL OK

Board 7i76e #2 with encoder in normal pins on 7i76e = NOTHING, connected 7i85S and moved connector to 1:st encoder = ALL OK

So it seems that the faulty encoder has damaged both 7i76e spindle encoder inputs.

As regards board #1 this is for the Lathe looks like encoders can be managed via 7i85S as I only need 3 inputs.

As regards board #2 for the milling machine I need 5 encoder inputs = X/Y/Z/A and Spindle.
So my question is can the spindle encoder be connected to other inputs so I can get this machine ready?

Repair option, maybe Peter can chime in here and advise what part/parts to be exchanged (not afraid to do some SMD soldering).

Not so happy camper now, a bit unbelievable that this is happening with one faulty encoder.

/edit

As my A-axis is a bit far away then I can manage to get me going by setting num_encoders=4 I suppose.

Cheers
Bengt

Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 06:49 by tecno.

More
04 Sep 2017 07:37 #98440 by andypugh
Have you checked that the 5V/GND pins that power the encoder are still at their nominal voltage when the encoder is connected?
Can you see the input pins swing with a multimeter at the board terminals?
Are you sure that the jumpers (W10, W11, W13) for the encoder mode are set correctly?

More
04 Sep 2017 07:40 #98441 by tecno

net some-signal-name axis.N.motor-position-fb hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.MM.position
Choose the N and MM any way that you fancy.
If you are using a PID component for each axis (this is optional, but pncconf currently sets things up that way) then you also need
net some-signal-name pid.X.feedback
(That is the same "some-signal-name" as the above, and you can combine them all on one line, or split over 3 lines, as you prefer)

Want to have spindle encoder on 4th encoder input, what syntax in hal for this.

net spindle-pos hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.04.position motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-vel hm2_7i76.0.encoder.04.velocity motion,spindle-vel

Is it something like this?

#*******************
# SPINDLE S
#*******************

setp pid.s.Pgain [SPINDLE_9]P
setp pid.s.Igain [SPINDLE_9]I
setp pid.s.Dgain [SPINDLE_9]D
setp pid.s.bias [SPINDLE_9]BIAS
setp pid.s.FF0 [SPINDLE_9]FF0
setp pid.s.FF1 [SPINDLE_9]FF1
setp pid.s.FF2 [SPINDLE_9]FF2
setp pid.s.deadband [SPINDLE_9]DEADBAND
setp pid.s.maxoutput [SPINDLE_9]MAX_OUTPUT
setp pid.s.error-previous-target true

net spindle-index-enable <=> pid.s.index-enable
net spindle-enable => pid.s.enable
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm => pid.s.command

### --- net some-signal-name pid.X.feedback >> already declared ---
net spindle-vel-fb-rpm => pid.s.feedback
net spindle-output <= pid.s.output

# ---setup spindle control signals---

net spindle-vel-cmd-rps <= motion.spindle-speed-out-rps
net spindle-vel-cmd-rps-abs <= motion.spindle-speed-out-rps-abs
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm <= motion.spindle-speed-out
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm-abs <= motion.spindle-speed-out-abs
net spindle-enable <= motion.spindle-on
net spindle-cw <= motion.spindle-forward
net spindle-ccw <= motion.spindle-reverse
net spindle-brake <= motion.spindle-brake
net spindle-revs => motion.spindle-revs
net spindle-at-speed => motion.spindle-at-speed

### --- net some-signal-name axis.N.motor-position-fb hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.MM.position -- is the line below to be changed???
net spindle-vel-fb-rps => motion.spindle-speed-in
net spindle-index-enable <=> motion.spindle-index-enable

net spindle-pos hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.04.position motion.spindle-revs ### new added line
net spindle-vel hm2_7i76.0.encoder.04.velocity motion.spindle-vel ### new added line

# ---Setup spindle at speed signals---

sets spindle-at-speed true

setp hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinout-scalemax 1200
setp hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinout-maxlim 2500

net spindle-enable hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinena
net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm-abs hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinout
net spindle-ccw hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spindir

More
04 Sep 2017 07:41 - 04 Sep 2017 07:43 #98443 by tecno

Have you checked that the 5V/GND pins that power the encoder are still at their nominal voltage when the encoder is connected?
Can you see the input pins swing with a multimeter at the board terminals?
Are you sure that the jumpers (W10, W11, W13) for the encoder mode are set correctly?

Yes
Yes both MM and Osc
Yes

With encoder connected to 7i85S

Spindle encoder inputs on 7i76e are busted
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 07:43 by tecno. Reason: added text

More
04 Sep 2017 07:45 #98444 by andypugh

Yes
Yes both MM and Osc
Yes
Spindle encoder inputs on 7i76e are busted

This just seems a bit unlikely, I don't see how a 5V encoder can break the encoder inputs.
How are you checking the HAL side of the encoder function?

More
04 Sep 2017 07:59 #98445 by tecno
With the *new* encoder I can see clearly the transitions when connected to 7i85S on A/B/Z turning the encoder slowly Z is crisp and clear. In HAL show pins.
On 7i76e nothing now so I take it that the RS-485/RS-422 Receiver is busted. Why this on TWO boards with same faulty encoder I do not know. All 5 cables connected as they should, no errors there.

The *new* is from Omron too so color coding on cables are the same and it is working here on the lab bench. Now awaiting to be connected to 7i85S in the milling machine.

So these questions are still unanswered.

As regards board #2 for the milling machine I need 5 encoder inputs = X/Y/Z/A and Spindle.
So my question is can the spindle encoder be connected to other inputs so I can get this machine ready?

Repair option, maybe Peter can chime in here and advise what part/parts to be exchanged (not afraid to do some SMD soldering).

More
04 Sep 2017 12:26 - 04 Sep 2017 12:27 #98456 by Todd Zuercher

With the *new* encoder I can see clearly the transitions when connected to 7i85S on A/B/Z turning the encoder slowly Z is crisp and clear. In HAL show pins.
On 7i76e nothing now so I take it that the RS-485/RS-422 Receiver is busted. Why this on TWO boards with same faulty encoder I do not know. All 5 cables connected as they should, no errors there.

The *new* is from Omron too so color coding on cables are the same and it is working here on the lab bench. Now awaiting to be connected to 7i85S in the milling machine.

So these questions are still unanswered.

Yes, any encoder input can be used for any encoder purpose (spindle, axis, mpg, something else...). It is how you connect the encoder outputs in the hal file that determines how and what they are used for.

I'm very curious what could possibly be going wrong with your encoder that could be killing encoder inputs. I'm also having trouble imagining how a 5v encoder could do it by its self. I'd be more suspicious of some sort of wiring problem. Be sure to carefully check your wiring, before you ruin more encoder inputs or encoders.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 12:27 by Todd Zuercher.

More
04 Sep 2017 12:30 #98458 by tecno
any encoder input can be used for any encoder purpose

Yes but my question is IF other inputs can be used for this purpose?
As I need 5 encoders in near future and now only have 4 via 7i85S.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds