Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.

More
04 Sep 2017 12:41 #98461 by andypugh

As regards board #2 for the milling machine I need 5 encoder inputs = X/Y/Z/A and Spindle.
So my question is can the spindle encoder be connected to other inputs so I can get this machine ready?

You probably have some "spare" encoder counters on the expansion connectors of the 7i76E. Do you know what firmware is on the board?

At the moment those are unprotected FPGA pins, so wiring direct might be unwise (especially with your experience so far).

You can't use the existing terminal block IO on the 7i76, as that is either dedicated outputs (step/dir pins) or smart-serial addressed and only updated at 1mS rate (GPIO pins).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 12:49 #98463 by tecno
7i76e_7i76x1_7i85sx1D.bit

More
04 Sep 2017 13:10 #98468 by tecno
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...69_71&product_id=285

Is it possible to use any of those 7 free pins perhaps or if not just take one 7i42TA that I have to utilize the 5th encoder.

More
04 Sep 2017 13:25 #98471 by andypugh
Looking at the VHD file for that bitfile (attached) it should have three encoders.

All these encoders are multiplexed, so two sets of HAL pins per FPGA pin triple.
but I think that the 7i76 onboard terminals only use one of that pair.

Rather importantly, the encoder on the 7i76 is muxed encoder 02. I think that would be hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.04... in HAL.
Is that the one that you have been looking at in HAL?

Encoder pairs 00 and 01 are on the P1 expansion connector.

All these encoders are multiplexed, but I think that the 7i76 onboard terminals only use one of that pair.

If you enable _all_ the encoders and watch _all_ the outputs then it is just possible that you might find that things are OK.

More
More
04 Sep 2017 14:22 #98475 by andypugh
num_encoders=1 will (as far as I can tell) disable the encoders on the 7i76E board.
Completely remove the num_encoders=N line from the hostmot2 config and then see if any of the encoders count when you move the spindle.

(this time I will attach the VHD file)
Attachments:

More
04 Sep 2017 14:26 #98477 by PCW
It actually seems very unlikely that you damaged the encoder inputs on both of your 7I76Es,
The only way I could see this happening is is you applied excessive voltage to the input pins on both
(24V for example would definitely destroy the receiver)

Did you test the A,B,Index input hal pins on encoder 4 (jumpered for TTL mode) by grounding the inputs?

What does your config line have for num_encoders?

More
04 Sep 2017 14:38 #98479 by tecno
Now the encoder is mechanically in the milling machine so I can not do any tests up here.

Please give me step by step instructions what to do/test so we can see what is wrong here.

What changes to INI and HAL before I start testing, both files are enclosed, no edits done as I have written earlier.
If the suggested earlier edits are OK then we go from there.

forum.linuxcnc.org/39-pncconf/33069-help...oing?start=290#98338

More
04 Sep 2017 14:45 #98481 by tecno

num_encoders=1 will (as far as I can tell) disable the encoders on the 7i76E board.
Completely remove the num_encoders=N line from the hostmot2 config and then see if any of the encoders count when you move the spindle.

(this time I will attach the VHD file)

As I recall testing with 1 or 5 for num_encoders the encoder did work only on 1st encoder input on 7i85S

More
04 Sep 2017 14:53 #98483 by andypugh
All the encoder.00 references in your spindle HAL probably need to be encoder.04

I say "probably" because I don't have your system to experiment with.

You don't need the "firmware=...." stuff in the Hostmot2 config string either.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds