Help needed to get my 7i76E + 7i85S + 7i73 on my mill going.

More
04 Sep 2017 16:50 #98498 by tecno
Did you find any boboos in hal or ini?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 17:49 #98500 by tecno

Tests done
#1 7i76e board for lathe is busted as regards pin 13, A/B flickers when shorting.
#2 7i76e board for milling machine seems to be OK so maybe it is so that I have watched wrong encoder like 00

So now edits have to be done to HAL and INI.

As regards the use of #1 I only need 3 encoders so 7i85S will fix this.
How do I setup HAL?
setp hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.scale [AXIS_0] ENCODER_SCALE
setp hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.01.scale [AXIS_1] ENCODER_SCALE
setp hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.04.scale [SPINDLE_9] ENCODER_SCALE

And then where do I connect the spindle encoder 3rd or 4th encoder input on 7i85S

I will have to pre-wire everything on this board before I put it in the cabinet, all connections will be with shielded rj45 cables.
Will go quad on step and A/B/Z on encoders so 1 RJ45 handles each axis. So 3x8 pins left over for 2xMPG Estop and combined home/limit, coolant.
Attachments:

More
04 Sep 2017 20:11 #98503 by andypugh
num_encoders=1 enables encoder.00
num_encoders = 2 enables encoder.00 and encoder.01
if you want encoder.04 active then you need to have num_encoders=5.

But you can connect any encoder in any active position. It is perfectly OK to use encoder.00 for the spindle and encoder.04 for the X axis if that is, for some reason, more convenient for you.

More
04 Sep 2017 20:18 #98505 by tecno
I still don't see what is doing the connection, say I want 04 in 1st how does LCNC know what is what?

More
04 Sep 2017 20:57 #98509 by andypugh
You can't have 04 first, it will always be 5th, (00 is first).

Where each encoder appears on the screw terminals is set by the firmware, and the only way to change that is by changing the firmware.

You can look at the manual for the card in conjunction with (I _think_ the contents of linuxcnc_print.txt in your home directory. (I don't currently have a machine running uspace).

Can you start linuxcnc then attach the contents of ~/linuxcnc_print.txt?

More
04 Sep 2017 21:23 #98512 by andypugh
Or. start linuxcnc with the "linuxcnc" command from the command line, and look at that output for a pinout.

More
04 Sep 2017 22:59 #98515 by rodw
I use Halshow a lot to identify the signal names I want. I just drill down the tree to find the pin I want. (or sometimes its just a guess.) Then I know its exact name to use in my hal file. I then use the watch file to workout whats going on and review the documents to understand the function of the pins. Then I back out of the 7i76e pins and find the motion/axis/halui/hoint pins required, check the docs and try to understand their fucntion. Then I hook up the 7i76e pins to where they need to go.

From what I'm seeing you've used setp to set the encoder scale from your ini file but you also need to connect the hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.* encoder outputs to the right pins in hal so LCNC knows whats going on at the joint/motion/axis level

Promise me you will NEVER use pncconf from this day forth. The Mesa environment has become far too complex and it has never kept up.

More
05 Sep 2017 09:55 #98523 by Clive S
I for one have found this whole thread very enlightening and useful and would like to thank the contributors for there patience and commitment. It has certainly help me in the way that the hal and ini file work and probably a lot of other people as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayJr, rodw

More
05 Sep 2017 18:36 #98540 by tecno

If you have sensors then it's all rather easier and motor-speed selection can be made before the spindle starts.

This HAL component that I wrote some years ago should be a good start.

It doesn't handle the 2-speed motor case, but that should be a fairly simple modification.

Have been on the road today so no play with my milling machine.

But, I have now got hold of a handful of these PNP sensors.
www.smc.eu/smc/Net/EMC_DDBB/ce_documenta...Px-588_TFI65GB-C.pdf

So I will have one for each position as I have the space that just suits this type of selector arrangement.
Magnet on the rotating selector, each position 12.5° apart = 5 positions + 2 Hi/Lo gearbox + 2 Hi/Lo motor rpm.

More
07 Sep 2017 07:57 #98609 by tecno
[quote="rodw" post=98515

From what I'm seeing you've used setp to set the encoder scale from your ini file but you also need to connect the hm2_7i76e.0.encoder.00.* encoder outputs to the right pins in hal so LCNC knows whats going on at the joint/motion/axis level

[/quote]

Would you be kind and give more detailed example as I don't get this what to write here.

How to *connect* below examples
Spindle encoder Index is pin 13 TB3 on 7i76e
X-axis Index is pin 7 TB3 on 7i85S

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds