Touchy meets ngcgui and gremlin

More
15 Jun 2015 20:53 #59845 by Roguish
Has this continued to evolve? What state is it in now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2015 22:30 #59852 by BigJohnT
I don't think this has been touched since the get go.

JT

More
15 Jun 2015 22:59 #59855 by Roguish
JT,
are you still using this interface? from the looks, it combines the best of several. I like it.

side question: I saw pictures of your spindle encoder. Is it for rigid tapping? or just speed control?

Noel
(Roguish)

More
16 Jun 2015 00:25 #59859 by BigJohnT
Well I lost it during a computer change but I'm going to put it back now that you found the link lol.

Yes I rigid tap on the BP, I have a Quik Switch spindle so there is no draw bar to interfere with mounting an encoder.

I'm using a GS2 VFD but have yet to convert the old variable pulley to a toothed belt and motor capable of running 120hz. But that is the plan, so for now I just run it at 1800hz for most ops and 900hz for tapping and dial in the speed I want at tool change.

JT

More
16 Jun 2015 00:36 #59860 by BigJohnT
As usual I'm behind and didn't even realize that had been incorporated into LinuxCNC. In 2.6 open sim/touchy/pyngcgui_touchy. I now have a reason to upgrade the BP to 2.6!

JT

More
16 Jun 2015 01:36 #59861 by Roguish
glad to 'send' you the link.
Touchy is too big for my 15" touch screen (at least I have not figured out how to resize Touchy, yet)
and I really like Gremlin incorporated.
I got gmocappy working (no touch screen) on the BP. I particularly like to the tool change routine.

I'd like to rigid tap, but my BP series 2 has a 4 hp motor, 220 3 phase, and I run it on 220 single phase with a static converter. I don't think it will stop and start quickly enough. i do have a VFD for it, but it takes 3 phase also.
I may start with a simple 1 ppr encoder to check the speed.

if you put together the files for the Touchy/ngcgui/gremlin interface would you mind sharing them? i'd like to try them out.

thanks.

More
16 Jun 2015 04:08 - 16 Jun 2015 04:21 #59863 by BigJohnT
If your running 2.6 you already have the files. In 2.6 open sim/touchy/pyngcgui_touchy. Just copy the two .ui files to your config directory and add the ini lines from the display section.

Touchy fits fine on a 15" touch screen you just need to adjust the fonts a little on the Preference tab, I use Sans 10 for everything except the DRO which is Courier 10 at 12 pitch.

A self starting rotary phase converter is simple to build, see my RPC schematic .

JT
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 04:21 by BigJohnT.

More
16 Jun 2015 04:29 #59864 by Roguish
Thanks. good info on the fonts. I may, or may not have figured that one out.

also, thanks for the rotary phase convertor. thought about it for years, just not gotten to it. also, the BP is 4 hp and I only have a smaller (I think 3 hp) to use. I understand the 'rotary motor' should be at least 150% of the actual driven motor......

I will look at the sim/touchy/pyngcgui_touchy files.

More
16 Jun 2015 18:05 #59877 by BigJohnT
Check motor repair places for a 10hp used motor, around here they are $200. My BP Discovery 308 is so picky with power I had to use a purpose built RPC idler but for 98% a plain jane 3 phase motor works fine.

JT

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds