how to edit/ make a custom Touchy/Gscreen GUI

More
26 Mar 2013 00:07 #31866 by jtc
Hi.

the goal is make a custom/ optimized gui based on touchy or on gscreen. at this time (and after some hours reading) I think that the best solution is use gladevpc. I'm testing the sim/gladevcp/gladevcp_touchy and I'm able to edit (visually, for now) the gladeVCP demo tab. the my quest its to be able to edit the entire GUI to can change the parts that need to be changed, for example, erase the Handwheel. the problem at this point its where are the other files *.ui for the other tabs? when I choose this gui it create the files on .../linuxcnc/configs/sim/gladevcp and had just the "manual-example.ui" (corresponding to the gladeVCP demo tab).

tnks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 02:51 #31874 by cmorley
Well to modify Touchy's main screen is gonna take some work. Touchy was not meant to be modified (other then embedded panels) in fact by the designer's choice.

Touchy (including the standard tabs) is just one GLADE file and does not support gladeVCP widgets directly.
GladeVCP panels are added (embedded) after

The GLADE file is in different places, depending if linuxcnc is installed or run-in-place
If you change the file, all TOUCHY screens will be different. and any update will erase the changes.
To change most things in the screen will require TOUCHY's python program to be changed.

Just so you know what your getting into.

Gscreen was meant to be customized.
changes that you make will not be written over - they are kept in your config folder.
By utilizing gladeVCP widgets you can do quite a bit without python programming.
By using python you can do almost anything.
You could even copy TOUCH's GLADE file and use Gscreen's infrastructure to run and modify it (need a fair amount of python code made)

Gscreen is under development in master so is not nearly as stable as TOUCHY.
Techniques to modify Gscreen are not well documented yet though there are examples.
Gscreen requires master
If you want to use NGCGUI Gcode builder It doesn't currently work with Gscreen.

What are you trying to achieve?
Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

More
26 Mar 2013 14:30 #31896 by newbynobi
@jtc

I would recommend you to base your GUI Screen on gscreen, as it is (like Chris allready mentioned) made to be modified.
My own screen gmoccapy is based on gscreen and if you compare the custom gscreen GUI's with the standard gscreen and gmoccapy, then you will see, that nearly veverythink is possible.

If you want more than just an add on panel or just moving button around, than you will need to edit or write some python code.
But python is realy simple and fast to learn, I didn't know much about python when I begann to write my own GUI, and the complete gmoccagui GUI consist of only about 1500 lines of code, more is not needed, because I just use the base functions of gscreen.

I made also a smaler GUI based on gscreen, just to control a handling station, without preview and so on, it has about 200 lines of code.

So feel free to get one of the GUI's based on gscreen and modify them according to your needs.

Norbert
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

More
26 Mar 2013 15:45 #31897 by jtc
tanks for the replys.

the objective is make a retrofit of a cnc lathe, with a touch panel. I have to be able and get sufficient knowledge to modify/create and maybe erase some buttons , change positions, the xyz graphic,etc.

so I think the way to go is use gscreen. what's is the difference between have linux cnc installed or run-in-place? witch is the best method to have the simple acess to the files needed?

More
28 Mar 2013 22:14 - 28 Mar 2013 22:15 #32001 by jtc
Hi. today I make a few advances. I suppose that for the run-in-place method needs git right?

I follow the eto post on the Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen thread (www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...creen?start=50#21564) but I only install git and "download" linuxcnc-dev. I use only these 2 commands:
$ sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui
$ git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc-dev
now in the .../linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy (i will try gmoccapy) I found what I think be the all files needed to start change some things, but cannot run the program. if i make:
$ gladevcp *******.glade

I can see the gui, but if i try to run it:
$ linuxcnc gmoccapy.ini
i have this error:
LINUXCNC - 2.6.0-pre0-4255-g229ae88
Machine configuration directory is '/home/********/linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy'
Machine configuration file is 'gmoccapy.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
io started
halcmd loadusr io started
Could not open command file 'core_sim.hal'
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Cleanup done
LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the log:
    /home/********/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/********/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal
the 2 links core_sim.hal and axis_manualtoolchange.hal are bad links, I just copy this 2 from random folders to see if it can runs (now can run gmoccapy ) but dont know the implications of use a copy os the files, maybe can had some differences from the others... or some update conflicts. its possible update a run in place version?

tnks
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 22:15 by jtc.

More
29 Mar 2013 00:43 - 29 Mar 2013 00:44 #32006 by newbynobi
@jtc,

it is not enough to get the git copy.

You have to compile the software to run.

Pleas go to the linuxcnc-dev folder like so:

cd linuxcnc-dev

than execute the following commands:
cd src
make clean
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo setuid
cd ..
. ./scripts/rip-environment
linuxcnc

and select gmoccapy.ini

Have fun!

By the way, there will be a lathe version of gmoccapy, just give me a moment!

Did you read already the WIKI Page o0f gmoccapy?

Norbert
Last edit: 29 Mar 2013 00:44 by newbynobi.

More
30 Mar 2013 04:05 #32061 by jtc
yes I read your wiki page of gmoccapy, I tried follow your tutorial but get a error, don't remember now but I that wen you say to do
sudo apt-get git-core gitk git-gui
should be:
sudo apt-get install git-core gitk git-gui
please correct me if I'm wrong.

now I try to do the commands in your post, and when I do $ make clean I got errors
Makefile:55 Makefile.inc File or Directory don't exist
Makefile:66 *** Makefile.inc must especify RTPREFIX and others variables. Stop.
(have to translate the errors from Portuguese, so the spelling in English can be different )

when I do ./configure, in the end I got
configure: error: boost:: python is required to build Linuxcnc

Ok, I suppose that should have any kind of python compiler installed...

in
$sudo setuid
, in your tutorial its
$sudo make setuid
and have the same problem because of the makefile.

in the next step got another error, it maybe be dependent of the first ones...

but after all of this and in the end I can run gmoccapy from the application, but have no icons!

a lathe version it's awesome news :) continue the great work and try to keep it well documented

João Tiago

More
30 Mar 2013 04:57 #32062 by newbynobi
Hallo Joao,

thanks for reporting the error on my WIKI, I corrected this now.

sudo make setuid is correct, was late when I write the short text.

If make clean does not work, is not a problem at this time, because it is only neccesary if you recompile.

Configure checks for the depencies, It seems you have not installed boost Python, didn't you?

Witch distri are you using?

If it is a normal UBUNTU 10.04 or 12.04, not the one from linuxcnc.org, you will miss several depencies and have to install them all.

Norbert

More
30 Mar 2013 05:05 #32063 by jtc
no, haven't installed boost Python, I will do this.

I'm using the linuxcnc distro (ubuntu 10.04), not the normal ubuntu.

More
30 Mar 2013 06:21 #32069 by andypugh

no, haven't installed boost Python, I will do this..

sudo apt-get install libboost-python-dev

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds