Lathe Macros

More
19 May 2013 05:48 - 13 Nov 2022 19:25 #34357 by andypugh
Lathe Macros was created by andypugh
[EDIT 13/11/22 The various versions are now available for download here: github.com/andypugh/LatheMacros/releases ]

[EDIT 12/7/22 See here for an updated GTK3 version forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26550-lathe-macros?start=240#247195 ]

I have re-vamped the interface for my lathe.

The config is attached as a ZIP file. This is a sim-config just for playing about with.
Note that it uses features only included in Master (specifically the ability to read HAL pins in G-code)

The macros now receive the values as subroutine parameters. so the FEATURES option is not needed.

Also new is the ability to type "3in" and have the value automatically become 76.2 to use imperial values on a metric lathe, or type 75mm and have the value automatically become 2.95 for the reverse
You can also type "tpi" for conversion to mm pitch, and the fractions /2 /4 /16 /32 /64 too.

So, if you want you can type "2 5/64in" and end up with the value in the box of "52.784"

[EDIT 13/11/2016] I have now made a re-sizable version for touch-screen use: forum.linuxcnc.org/41-guis/26550-lathe-macros?start=150#82743
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2022 19:25 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dimitrios, jrsphoto, RotarySMP, BruceLayne, arvidb, pkasy, jo_key, aer73, eFalegname, besriworld and 4 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2013 06:42 #34362 by Zahnrad Kopf
Replied by Zahnrad Kopf on topic Lathe Macros
Andy,

That is really, really nice! Very well done, Sir. Well done, indeed.
Makes me want to get a box up and running before I get the turning center finished so I can play with it.

More
20 May 2013 01:43 #34401 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Lathe Macros
Very nice!

JT

More
20 May 2013 13:41 #34417 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Lathe Macros
:woohoo: Very good.

More
20 May 2013 16:04 - 09 Dec 2015 01:11 #34420 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros
I am still ironing the bugs out, but I made parts with the system this weekend.

The main problem at the moment is that the GladeVCP tabs steal keyboard events if the mouse pointer is over the tab.
ie, if the mouse pointer is on a part of the screen that is not the GladeVCP tab, then keyboard jogging in Axis works normally.
However, if you move the mouse pointer onto the tab (no need to click anything) the the cursor keys change values in the spinboxes, rather than jogging the machine.

Actually, the real main problem is that the "turning" macro is badly broken in the version I posted. There is a confusion about diameter/radius implicit in the G-code routine. I will fix this soon.
In the meantime, don't use this config on a real machine.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2015 01:11 by andypugh.

More
20 May 2013 17:09 #34421 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Lathe Macros
Nice screen Andy

If only gremlin could create an image like that for the pre-view :laugh:

The main problem at the moment is that the GladeVCP tabs steal keyboard events if the mouse pointer is over the tab.
ie, if the mouse pointer is on a part of the screen that is not the GladeVCP tab, then keyboard jogging in Axis works normally.
However, if you move the mouse pointer onto the tab (no need to click anything) the the cursor keys change values in the spinboxes, rather than jogging the machine.

At a guess you probably have to hook into the enter-notify-event handler or whatever Gtk calls it, and discard the events in the gladevcp panel, so that only mouse button presses register there.

I see there already a kludge in ...gladevcp/xembed.py to try to stop it stealing keyboard events that are meant for Axis.

Good luck with that, focus grabbing is a pain in the proverbial.

regards

More
20 May 2013 22:21 #34434 by willburrrr2003
Replied by willburrrr2003 on topic Lathe Macros
This looks very promising Andy! I am currently set up with the NGCGUI routines I got from you and John, which I love! I am looking forward to trying your new screens once you get it ironed out :)

Regards,

Will

More
11 Jul 2013 03:56 #36533 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Lathe Macros
Hello Andy,

That is pretty awesome, Well Done Sir,

Question, how would one go about adding this to their own config? We will be starting another turning center retrofit here shortly, and wouldn't mind tinkering with this when I get it up and running.

Thanks

Rick

More
11 Jul 2013 06:43 #36539 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros

Question, how would one go about adding this to their own config?

There are a few glitches I am ironing out (like, I forgot to make the facing sub pay any attention to angle, and I really can't get threads to work)
Also, the tool-per-sub thing is really annoying me, I am going to do away with that, and have a setup tab to choose a tool and possibly set its offset. (This is part of a plan to stop using the Axis touch-off button as I am forever getting mixed up between tool and coordinate system, and messing up the whole thing)

But, other than that, it can live in a tab alongside any other options, and really doesn't get in the way at all. It just requires a few INI file entries and some G-code files in the config directory (deliberately out of their normal position)

Feel free to experiment with the published version, and let me know what you think so far. Just possibly leave out the tool or the workpiece :-)

More
19 Sep 2013 02:18 #39000 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Lathe Macros
Andy,
I tried you Macro code and it seems to be the thing to use for my application. At least the savestate.ini stuff.
I have a silly question seeing that I am wanting to use this kind of thing with Gmoccapy and a touch screen with no keyboard or mouse. Is there a way to enlarge the spin button so that it could be more touch friendly or should I have another approach here?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds