Lathe Macros

More
07 Sep 2014 03:54 #50866 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Macros

Is the threading function TPI only or is there a way to enter a metric pitch.

As my lathe is set up as metric then if I put "1.25" in the box I get a 1.25 mm pitch thread.
If your lathe is set up for imperial then you will get a 1.25" pitch.

However, if you put in the feature in post 48403 further up the page then you can type "25tpi" and it will automatically change to "1.016" and then if you type "mm" it will change to "0.04"

Also, is there a way to recover the original setting if the code was stopped midway? If not how would you do it in practise

The cycles all start from where the machine is when the "go" button is pressed, so if I decide to interrupt the sequence I just jog to a suitable starting point and press the button again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2014 04:46 #50868 by Zahnrad Kopf
Replied by Zahnrad Kopf on topic Lathe Macros

However, if you put in the feature in post 48403 further up the page then you can type "25tpi" and it will automatically change to "1.016" and then if you type "mm" it will change to "0.04"

Andy,

Speaking as someone that has been living with the same way of things for years and years, THAT is pretty darn nifty! Nice work. I'll definitely look at implementing that once this one is up and running. Thank you.

More
07 Sep 2014 15:06 #50878 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Lathe Macros

As my lathe is set up as metric then if I put "1.25" in the box I get a 1.25 mm pitch thread.
If your lathe is set up for imperial then you will get a 1.25" pitch.

My lathe is set up for metric. I am not clever enough to work in imperial ;)
It looks like I did exactly as you would but the results are not the same.

I will implement the feature you mentioned. Will this feature be included in production (2.6.x) at any stage or will I have to make sure that I apply a fix after any update?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
07 Sep 2014 18:29 #50881 by mariusl

Magic Stuff man. If I had paid attention to this I might have saved my threading tool. :blush:

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
07 Sep 2014 21:32 - 07 Sep 2014 21:38 #50886 by mariusl
Hi Andy
If I use the spinbox feature and enter 1.25mm it converts it to 0.0492 but then I get an error " In G76 K must be greater than J" You have J set at 0.2 so how does K get greater?
Must I modify the sub to use this in any way?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Last edit: 07 Sep 2014 21:38 by mariusl.

More
07 Sep 2014 21:48 #50887 by mariusl
I think the problem is now that depth is calculated on the TPI figure. When you enter a metric value the depth is not correct. So I multiplied the pitch by 25.4 and then with the 0.613. This however breaks the function for imperial threads. Or if you forget to add the mm after the entry.

I think a radio button for metric/imperial will be required unless you have a better idea ( I hope ).

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
08 Sep 2014 05:35 #50900 by andypugh

If I use the spinbox feature and enter 1.25mm it converts it to 0.0492 but then I get an error " In G76 K must be greater than J" You have J set at 0.2 so how does K get greater?
Must I modify the sub to use this in any way?

I am a bit confused by your problem. If your lathe is set up in mm, and all the other numbers are mm, then the thread pitch should be mm. (ie, 1.25 in the box is correct for a 1.25mm pitch thread)

I think that the subs include a G21, but perhaps they don't. Is your lathe accidentally in Imperial mode?

More
08 Sep 2014 17:16 #50920 by mariusl
Hi Andy

If you are confused by my problem then you must know how I am feeling already.
I spent many hours trying all kinds of things but it just remains the same.
The lathe is setup in mm - G21 present
There seem to be an index enable pulse that occurs every revelution of the chuck.

Have a gander at the pics included.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2014 17:56 #50926 by andypugh

The lathe is setup in mm - G21 present
There seem to be an index enable pulse that occurs every revelution of the chuck.

How much does the value of motion.spindle-revs increase for a single rotation of the chuck?
I should count complete revolutions, and increase by 1 for each revolution.

More
08 Sep 2014 18:07 #50927 by mariusl
Very difficult to say as it changes all the time. I have a very aggressive lowpass filter on the feedback.

What I just noticed is that the feedrate remains the same no matter what spindle speed I select. Surely that does not seem right?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds