Poor Boy GUI

More
30 Jan 2014 06:24 #43315 by gww250
Poor Boy GUI was created by gww250
With the help of everybody here we're finally getting closer to having what we've decided to call the 'Poor Boy' Gui.
Most of our shop equipment is used, sometimes pieced together from various bits and pieces and quite often we have to either rebuild the cnc components or add new cnc components, including software. We've been using Linuxcnc on two of our mills for the past two years and in my opinion it's an outstanding piece of work, especially easy to customize for different applications.

Recently we acquired a 2500 watt laser cutter that came with an old Windows 98 controller software called 'Acunav'. This particular package doesn't have a graphics display window but every machine operator who has used it likes the basic screen panel layout more than some others they have used. As a result we decided to start building a new controller based on a customized gui for Linuxcnc.

The primary objective is to build front ends for all of our machines in the future based upon a more or less 'standardized' or semi-custom gui so operators could more easily move from one machine to another without having to re-learn a completely different gui. At the present time we're working on retrofitting the laser, a Ward waterjet, a plasma cutter, and a Bridgeport.

So far our 'test' gui is a composite of input from operators who have had experience with a variety of machine interfaces so we tried to cram everything but the kitchen sink into the basic panel layout so we'd be sure that we had enough 'real estate' to fit everything into a 1024x768 14" monitor and still have it readable and usable. Many of the buttons shown are still 'tests' and 'experimental' but they all function. The panel shown in the screenshots is designed for the laser cutter but I'm actually using it on a small mill during development so right now it's in cross-over mode so to speak.

I'll post the screen captures once I figure out how to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2014 06:43 #43316 by gww250
Replied by gww250 on topic Poor Boy GUI
Trying to upload a screenshot.
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2014 06:55 #43317 by gww250
I'm surprised that worked on the first try. Every board has it's own quirks but this site works pretty good. Here's a screen capture of the DRO notebook page.
Attachments:

More
30 Jan 2014 07:01 #43318 by gww250
Please keep in mind that this a work in progress and it might take months to get it into production mode and I'm sure we'll go through countless revisions as we test it against actual shop functionality. Over the next few days I'm hoping to create a version designed for our little Sherline mill since I use that as my test-horse.
A lot of people look down their nose at these little mills but I've been amazed at their capabilities and quit using our Chinese imports several months ago for aluminum prototyping work

More
30 Jan 2014 13:37 #43322 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Poor Boy GUI
I have a sherline mill I use for testing. I haven't ever really cut anything interesting with it. Do you have any gcode programs to try?

Your Screen looks very busy! I bet it was a lot of work.
It was a big complaint that linuxcnc's screen was not customizable - looks like that's getting less and less true!

Chris M

More
30 Jan 2014 18:38 #43325 by gww250
Right now the panel has buttons for just about all machines except for the THC on plasma so a lot of them will disappear and/or be rearranged for specific machines. Thought it looks cluttered it's actually and easy interface to use in practice. On a large17" screen the buttons are big enough to be touch activated.
Glade is the perfect tool for customizing linuxcnc. I have very little programming experience so without Glade and the help from members here I cold never have done work like this. I studied the code in Axis, Mini, Gscreen, Gmoccapy and Touchy and to be honest about 90% of it is over my head so right now my code is basically and expansion of Johns tutorials all combined together. Hopefully I learn how to make it better as I get more programming experience.
I've tried to get the buttons to change color on state change but so far no luck there. I'll be taking another look at that next week. I'll send you some programs for the Sherline. I'm wanting to add a large column, base and table to mine via A2Z monster mill components but haven't had the time.
Again I want to thank everybody who has helped by answering my various questions. Hopefully someday I can become a contributing member of the community.

More
30 Jan 2014 18:57 #43326 by gww250
Forgot to add that one thing I'd like to be able to implement is an audible 'click' or some other confirmation sound on button touch so some help in that area would be greatly appreciated. The modern 'mouse' doesn't click much anymore and in the shop you often can't hear your button clicks so you need visual or loud audible confirmations.

More
30 Jan 2014 19:31 #43327 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Poor Boy GUI
I'm sure glad to see someone is getting some benefit from my tutorials. I'm working on adding some more to my python glad gtk tutorials from recent things I've learned.

JT

More
30 Jan 2014 19:48 #43328 by gww250
Your tutorials have been a big help but I found them by searching google and in many cases it appears as if you have several different vintages still floating around so sometimes I got things messed up by not going back to your main site to begin with. I've been meaning to write you about that but haven't had time so far. I'd still be at square one without your help.

More
30 Jan 2014 19:58 #43329 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Poor Boy GUI
I wonder why there are more than the current pages available? Do you have a url for one that is out of date?

JT

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds