new to linuxcnc and want to learn everything.

More
22 Jul 2015 09:03 #60817 by thor44
I am new to Linuxcnc and to Linux and for the first time in about 25 years I have found something that I am passionate about, however I don't know anything about programming and I found that reading the manuals is just plain confusing can anyone help me get started with how to get "Touchy" to work and then make custom screens?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2015 11:39 #60821 by cmorley
Welcome to linuxcnc. may your passion not wane too much, too soon :)

You can run 'touchy' as a simulation, though the required hardware controls are not simulated...oops
Do you have a machine you would like to actually run?

Touchy was not built with custom screens in mind, though you certainly can modify it.
Gcsreen has sample custom 'skins' and was meant for customization.
Gmoccapy use a very similar infrastructure as Gcsreen so is easier to modify.

major customizations require considerable investment in time ( to gain the knowledge )

Chris M

More
22 Jul 2015 21:39 #60824 by BigJohnT
Even though the manuals seem confusing at first (I hope the only confusion is where to look) that is the best place to find out how to implement Touchy.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/touchy.html

JT

More
23 Jul 2015 07:15 #60836 by thor44
Thanks for the advice, It seems to me that the manuals explain what to do but not real clear on were to do it or I have missed it somewhere. Would I be correct that it is just as simple as changing a file here and there or do I have to create files and put them somewhere?

More
23 Jul 2015 07:18 #60837 by thor44
yes I have a machine or at least a mostly finished machine. I am still working on setting up the z axis. X and Y axis seem to be running well. It is a gantry style router.

More
23 Jul 2015 18:10 #60849 by BigJohnT

Thanks for the advice, It seems to me that the manuals explain what to do but not real clear on were to do it or I have missed it somewhere. Would I be correct that it is just as simple as changing a file here and there or do I have to create files and put them somewhere?

The Touchy chapter is only a couple of pages what part did you not understand?

JT

More
24 Jul 2015 10:48 #60876 by thor44
I read the user manual again and found Touchy requires hardware that I don't have yet so I decided to try gmoccapy. I tried to copy and paste the config files to my current machine set up and it tries to load but stops the screen goes dim and nothing happens I close the program and message screen shows up that gmoccapy has stopped responding and I have to force it to close. When it closes I get an error message screen that says a bunch of stuff that I don't understand that's why I have included it along with the gmoccapy.ini file from the current set up that I am trying to use.

If anyone can make sense of it and help me out awesome.
Attachments:

More
28 Jul 2015 13:26 #60977 by newbynobi
There seems to be a serious problem, because there is a double ini_hal.

Is there another hal application running?

Norbert

More
28 Jul 2015 17:51 #60982 by thor44
I deleted all the files and started over and now it works except there is output to the machine.

More
29 Jul 2015 03:30 #61003 by newbynobi
Do you know what for a hal file is used?

Within such a file you will have to do the connection to the machine.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds