Want to make a GUI similar to Mach3

More
28 Aug 2015 10:17 #61850 by ynneb
Hi, I have been out of CNC for a few years now, but are looking to get back into it.

I used to use Mach3 but lost my licence and would like to explore using LinuxCNC anyway. (I'm sure they would re issue my licence if I asked, as they are pretty good guys)

I used to make screens for Mach3 as a hobby.(Needed to get a life) Some were quite garish, while occasionally Id get it right.

OK I have installed the latest Linux CNC and the first frustration is that I need to tick a separate radio button to jog an axis. Already I'd like to create a screen where the controls were layed out differently.

I see in the screen sample section that someone has posted a picture of a 'proof of concept', where the buttons were placed over a bitmap picture. (It was me who did that picture years ago) (Id like to do a new toned down version.)

If I was to create a new bitmap picture as the screen background, what program would I need to use to place transparent buttons over it?

If I was to make some screen designs, I wonder if someone would like to help me get them functioning?

Benny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2015 13:10 - 28 Aug 2015 18:24 #61853 by ynneb
Its based closely to one I made around 5 years ago.
What features and options would you add to it?
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2015 18:24 by ynneb.

More
28 Aug 2015 13:52 #61854 by racedirector
Were you talking about this one? linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/41-...-custom-designed-gui I too would like a custom GUI as I have come from Mach using Gerry's 2010 Screenset and am currently learning Glade to try and re[produce something like Tormachs screenset that have on PathPilot (which is LinuxCNC)

To lay things over a bitmap you will need the Glade designer, if you installed LCNC from the Debian install it will be under the development menu.

Have a look at JT's site for some tutorials on Glade and LinuxCNC, they are brilliant! gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/index.html

Do keep us up to date on how you go.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: ynneb

More
28 Aug 2015 14:58 - 28 Aug 2015 14:59 #61856 by cncbasher
Benny,

install glade 2 not glade 3 depending on which version of debian your using is really all you need
follow the instructions to get the gmocappy gui , and that should cover just about everything you need

happy to help if you need it
follow the code base of gmocappy and you wont go far wrong
Last edit: 28 Aug 2015 14:59 by cncbasher.

More
28 Aug 2015 18:09 #61859 by ynneb
Thanks for the pointers guys.
I've just had a bit of a play with Glade and it seems that I cant insert transparent buttons over the top on the background picture.
I'll keep experimenting.

Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2015 13:05 #61881 by cmorley
I built the proof of concept you are talking of.
I didn't finish it as I didn't know what licence it was released with.
Gscreen, is the infrastructure for building glade based screens in linuxcnc.

event boxes would allow you to detect clicks in a certain area.
There are no transparent buttons. - how would use show whether it is on or off?

Chris M

More
29 Aug 2015 13:25 #61883 by ynneb
Hi Chris, Yes and I did that screen design. It had no licence as far as I was concerned and was free to use.
Anyhow I'd like to make a Linuxcnc specific one but would like some guidance, in what the screen should or shouldnt include. (I only want to see separate jog buttons without having to tick a radio box.
I'd love for you (or anyone tell me what a good generic 4 axis machine controller should include a,d what I should concentrate the design on.

My thought was that since most buttons are momentarily pressed, that to show their state was not really necessary.
I guess for single throw buttons that could be shown with a 'LED'.
So you are saying that its possible to place an event box over the buttons and that would be transparent over the background picture?

I'm not really that good at the coding side :( Where do I even find the Gscreen file in order to edit it?

I'm guessing with some guidance and team contribution we can get something good out hey?

Benny

More
30 Aug 2015 05:01 #61907 by cmorley
Ok here is the code I used to make that sample.
It would need to be placed in configs/sim/gscreen/gscreen_custom

I added an event box to show how that is done.

Unfortunately the background pic will not be shown in the GLADE editor :(
In the future I may be able to fix that..but not for awhile.

What version of linuxcnc are you using?

Chris M
Attachments:

More
31 Aug 2015 17:50 #61935 by spangledboy
How about looking at what Tormach are doing? I recently discovered the NYCCNC channel on youtube, where the guy uses Tormach machines a lot - I'd always mentally written them off as Mach3 driven until I saw the screen and realised that the path plot screen was straight out of LinuxCNC.

It turns out that somehow I'd missed the fact that Tormach are now using LinuxCNC with their own interface overlays and have named the software Pathpilot. The conversational interfaces look great and I now secretly want a Tormach 1100, but if I could add those interfaces to what I have now, then it'd save me a lot of money!

Ben

More
01 Sep 2015 02:50 #61956 by LearningLinuxCNC
John Prentice sent this information on the EMC-Users List email list. You can get path pilot.

The PathPilot GPL source is available on DVD.

"Mail a $10 check to:

GPL Compliance Division
Tormach Inc.
1071 Uniek Drive
Waunakee, WI 53597999

Please write "Source Code for Machine Controller Software" in the memo line of your payment.""

I think the handling charge above is still correct but you might like to confirm this with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

John Prentice

The following user(s) said Thank You: spangledboy

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds