LinuxCNCRSH vs. LinuxCNC Python module

More
04 Oct 2016 01:06 #81200 by kentavv
Hi. I've been using the LinuxCNC Python module for controlling LinuxCNC and it works well. It's actually very neat. I also read about LinuxCNCRSH and in particular that LinuxCNCRSH was the preferred way to control LinuxCNC from an external program. I could certainly understand that if the controlling application was on another machine.

(Assuming the controlling application is on the same machine as LinuxCNC and Python is OK...)

Are there advantages of the LinuxCNCRSH and LinuxCNC Python modules?

Which thread services these calls and what sort of latency is likely?

Are there other methods of remotely controlling Linux to be aware of, especially methods that would reduce latency or perhaps offer more flexibility?

I read the section about custom M codes triggering external programs, and that will be helpful.

Sorry to simply list a bunch of questions. I don't currently have a need beyond what the LinuxCNC Python module currently supplies. I just want to be aware of what's available, what is most supported, just general advice.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2016 16:34 #81222 by andypugh

. I also read about LinuxCNCRSH and in particular that LinuxCNCRSH was the preferred way to control LinuxCNC from an external program.

Where did you read that? It might have been comparing linuxcncrsh to linuxcncsh, for example.

More
08 Oct 2016 16:28 #81424 by kentavv
The comment was in a forum post and began something like "Apparently, the preferred method..." I wasn't able to find it, and it is very possible that it was the comparison you mention. linuxcncrsh looks pretty similar to linuxcncsh to a uninformed person :)

Is the LinuxCNC Python module the preferred method for external control? Is there any documentation where I could find answers to the other questions? If one wanted to write an interface in Qt, is there a C or C++ equivalent to the LinuxCNC Python module?

Thank you

More
27 Oct 2016 07:15 #82129 by bkt
control makinechit project thera are sdk for android, qt linux and sdk for windows ....
Other way: you can see the axis code and use the same library in the same way in qt c/c++ pgr ...

regards
Giorgio

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds