candcnc hardware with linuxcnc

More
21 Oct 2017 04:37 #100604 by PlasmaboyBob
OK, so I'm very new to this plasma cutting technology and I'm trying to switch over from Mach3 to Linuxcnc.
We have a table that has had the CandCNC MP3000 hardware installed on it, I'm trying to find info on the possibilities of using this hardware with Linuxcnc. The interface box has a candcnc breakout board with a DTHC controller in it, the table is using Gecko drives and controller. What are my options here, what changes do I need to make to use this system with Linuxcnc?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2017 09:47 #100659 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic candcnc hardware with linuxcnc
The easiest way to migrate to LinuxCNC would be to upgrade your config to CommandCNC which is a version of LinuxCNC developed by CandCNC to run their hardware. Nice and simple.

More
23 Oct 2017 16:01 #100678 by PlasmaboyBob
I guess I might be a little slow here so let me see if I understand you correctly. I have looked at their site and have seen an upgrade for the CommandCNC software, not a full install of it. You said they use a 'version' of LCNC for their hardware. LCNC is running on a Debian os, so does their upgrade work to update that and provide support for their hardware?
From what I've read and the lack of reply from 'them' I'm under the impression that you need to purchase their Linux box in order to get and use CommandCNC. Please tell me which is the correct answer to this puzzle.
We have purchased several pieces (a lot actually) of hardware from them and have had multiple issues trying to get everything to work. Two defective hubs that still need repair, the Mach3 app of which one version only runs on the unsupported WinXP 32 bit OS and partial sketchy replies from their support. We can get the table to move, the torch to fire but lots of small different errors and no completely cut parts yet. Runs great when testing, but we're exhausted trying to get a properly functioning system. Being outside of US borders makes things even more difficult with little things like shipping.
I'm a true fan of Linux so of course I see the potential and advantages of moving to that. I'm ready to purchase some hardware from MESA, hopefully more compatible than candcnc.
If I'm way off base on this change in direction please let me know, I really need to finalize some decisions and get this machine up and going. We're only 60 days out from Christmas. :(
Thanks

More
23 Oct 2017 20:30 #100695 by rodw
I can't help becasue I have never used their systems. They do offer a MiniPC upgrade on this page
www.candcnc.com/store-home/ethercut-mach...rcut-linux-retrofit/
But they have a couple of other options which I think depends on your THC hardware version.

If you were going to discard their equipment and assuming you have a stepper system I would purchase a dual NIC Mini PC with J1900 of N3160 CPU similar to what they use and a Mesa 7i76e and a Mesa THCAD card. Installing the preemptive kernel is a mandatory requirement.

Plasma is still not well supported out of the box by LinuxCNC. For now, the THCAD component will work in conjunction with the THCAD card and there is an experimental branch with PID based control of the Z axis for THC. I've played with it but have some plasma machine issues and lack of time to have got it going. As some of us have found, plasma is not an easy road. So if you favour a working system over a lot of playing, the CandCNC prebuilt option is well worth considering.

If you ask on the plasmaspider forum citing your Mach issues and a desire to move to LinuxCNC, I'm sure you'll have Tom Caudle's attention (from CandCNC) within about 24 hours.

What country are you in?

More
24 Oct 2017 00:21 #100708 by PlasmaboyBob
LOL So that is how to get attention,hmmmm :)
I'm in the Philippines.
I will check into that upgrade option a little more deeply however, from what I'm reading there I'm not sure we have what they are requesting and the cost is at least double of our other option. But, compatibility with LCNC for using the torch does have to be considered and I have not seen much info on configuring that. I will do some more testing and digging this week and see where that leads me.
Thanks so much for all this info, it has been very helpful.
Bob

More
24 Oct 2017 01:32 #100710 by rodw
Sounds like a midnight call to the US might be in order...

Here is a link to a working plasma config integrated with a sheetcam POST

gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

But use the Mesa THC component
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/thc.9.html

If you are really adventurous, try this experimental branch compiled from source. Follow the instructions in the various source files
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/dgarr/external_offsets
This might do your head in because there is a software simulator which should let you emulate your real hardware in software to configure your PID loop. Get your head around how that works first. There are instructions on how to migrate to a live system and how to continue the tuning.

I'm in Australia so similar time zone.

More
24 Oct 2017 01:35 #100711 by rodw
And might I add, once somebody nails the external offsets for PID based Torch height control, most external THC's will be obsolete... Best practice with torch height control is to integrate the ($100k+) system with internal control of torch height by the trajectory planner and thats exactly what the external offset branch does.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds