spindle display via 7-segment LED

More
16 Jun 2015 10:15 #59866 by russtuff
I just started playing with GladeVCP and in the demo config it has a horizontal bar style spindle readout. I would rather have numbers like your standard 7 segment LED display. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 11:23 #59867 by russtuff
I just found this, which is close: gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gladevcp/gladevcp03.html

I really don't need a dial, just the digits. I'll keep searching.

More
16 Jun 2015 18:02 - 16 Jun 2015 18:03 #59876 by BigJohnT
You can just use a HAL label and set the type to match the number format. Make your HAL connection and your set.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gladevcp/gladevcp04.html

JT
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 18:03 by BigJohnT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: russtuff

More
16 Jun 2015 20:47 #59882 by russtuff
Awesome, thanks!

More
28 Jun 2015 03:42 #60198 by russtuff
So I've spent about 20 hours farting around with GladeVCP trying to get a label or the meter to pick up the tach signal, and I have made zero progress. I've read the tutorials (gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/gladevcp/index.html) about 100 times and the only thing I've successfully done is get an LED to turn on.

I've dug through the sim files over and over and there is no place I can find where the meter is assigned pin, so I have no idea what the code is to make this work. I've read through the HAL and all other manuals over and over searching for anything that would work, and found nothing. I swear I'm not an idiot, but figuring out HAL pins and GladeVCP is like trying to decode the symbols on the stargate.

More
28 Jun 2015 03:46 #60199 by BigJohnT
Assuming your running Axis open the HAL Configuration window and look at the list of pins. To get a label to update you do need to connect the pins in your hal file.

Read the first section of this:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/basic_hal.html

Compress your configuration files into a zip and attach them.

JT

More
28 Jun 2015 05:19 - 28 Jun 2015 05:20 #60201 by russtuff
I am using Axis, and I think I am getting really close but I'm getting an error instead of Axis loading up. There is a screenshot of the errors in the zip file.

File Attachment:

File Name: G0704_Mill.tar.gz
File Size:543 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2015 05:20 by russtuff.

More
28 Jun 2015 18:35 - 28 Jun 2015 18:40 #60222 by BigJohnT
It's best to copy and paste the errors, unfortunately it's a bit strange how you copy from a tcl window. Select the text with Select All then press the middle mouse button to copy and again to paste.

The error is line 6 in your custom postgui

You are trying to connect motion spindle speed out to two signals and that won't work. Use the spindle cmd signal to drive the lable.
net spindle-cmd => gladevcp.hal_meter1

Look at the diagram for multiple readers here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/hal/basic_hal.html

JT
Last edit: 28 Jun 2015 18:40 by BigJohnT.

More
29 Jun 2015 10:01 - 29 Jun 2015 10:21 #60241 by russtuff
Sweet! That got Axis to launch but the meter still isn't picking up the signal :(

In the pin setup I'm using spindle-phase-a for pin 15, maybe that is what is making the difference? I have a encoder ring with 16 slots.

EDIT: I just started playing with the built-in spindle speed display in Axis which is new to me being that I just upgraded from 2.5 to 2.6 before starting down this glade road. I noticed that while I don't yet have linuxcnc controlling my mill spindle, using F11 and F12 affects the reading on the gladevcp meter. Maybe the meter can't take a direct reading from my sensor because it is taking it from the Axis spindle speed buttons?
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 10:21 by russtuff.

More
29 Jun 2015 19:26 #60247 by BigJohnT
An encoder with 16 slots will just be an on and off signal so the meter will just display 0 then 1 then 0 etc.

If you connect the encoder to the encoder component you can get a velocity from that.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/encoder.9.html

JT

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds