offsetpage_widget.py error while running smartprob

More
06 Dec 2015 13:33 #66507 by cncbasher
altering the tooltable is not for the faint hearted , amongst other things is is deeply rooted as is the interpreter and trajectory planner . so what you may think is an easy task , is far from easy . this is why some parts that you may find in mind are simple .

but in linuxcnc it is not their are actualy around 6 paths any instruction can take , and this is one area that is not well documented for this reason . and has expanded in time and evoulution .

syncing of tools should be easy between a cam system and linuxcnc , as this can be done as a server client
it's essentialy a mysql table ., i have a few tweaks to make this easier .

however i tend to leave the tooltable empty in linuxcnc and only use it for wear offsets ,as this is particular to a machine
and it's toolrack . i.e tools are not usually shared around machines in a shop .

and leave everything else to the cam program , sharing the same mysql data base

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2015 21:34 #66525 by cmorley

To answer your question: yes something else could be better. The problem is finding someone with interest and ability to do it.
the problem isn't beg enough yet to force us to address it.

Hallo Chris,

I do not agree to 100 %.
IMHO you should place it as a issue, otherwise in half a year we all will have forgotten it.

Norbert

I don\t think it is a bug - it's a limitation. (unless I'm missing what you are talking about}
being able to change offsets while paused and having a different way to save shared info would be good improvements.
I see little point in issuing feature requests - when someone wants it bad enough it will happen.
Any work that is deep reaching like this requires so much personal perseverance to get in to linuxcnc that it tends to
break motivation - linuxcnc is very stable because it tends not to change.
Machinekit was created because of this too. In that case it's almost the opposite problem now.

In fact Andy Pugh started a branch for tooltable storage that addressed one of these issues a few years back.
He got uninterested when nobody would give feed back to him about his work IIRC.

Luckily linuxcnc and machinekit are very usable even with the limitations!

Chris M

More
08 Dec 2015 08:30 #66612 by DaBit

To answer your question: yes something else could be better. The problem is finding someone with interest and ability to do it. the problem isn't beg enough yet to force us to address it.

I totally understand that. But it never hurts to pull a few strings. :P

I pushed a fix for the offset widget to 2.6, 2.7 and master.
It will be available in the next bug fix release or on buildbot now.
Thanks for the report.

OK, I will do a GIT pull and see if the error went away.

syncing of tools should be easy between a cam system and linuxcnc , as this can be done as a server client
it's essentialy a mysql table ., i have a few tweaks to make this easier .

I'm also synchronizing tool.tbl semi-automatically with CAM; that is not so hard since the file format is very simple.

however i tend to leave the tooltable empty in linuxcnc and only use it for wear offsets ,as this is particular to a machine
and it's toolrack . i.e tools are not usually shared around machines in a shop .

Yeah, well, I am a hobby guy using one machine :laugh:
My main tooltable uses are storage of actual tool length and misuse to correct the dimensions of a feature that do not measure to the right size.

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds