Glade VCP quits after adding Gramlin plus

More
25 Jul 2016 17:29 #78004 by mozmck
I definitely think we should look at using QT, and have been looking at it a bit myself lately.

Another toolkit that I use a bit is FLTK, and it is really pretty nice. A couple of advantages FLTK has are speed, and size. It really is a Fast, Light ToolKit. I can statically link the libraries into a utility and it adds only about 400Kb of size to the executable. The FLTK guys actually recommend static linking which has the advantage that you don't have to rely on the version in the package manager or some other repository but can have an in-tree copy for a project if you want.
It also has a GUI builder called Fluid which works quite well and is simple.

QT on the other hand may be more flexible and make it easier to run on embedded hardware and may have other advantages I don't know of right now. It seems to have a million libraries and dependencies on debian/ubuntu though but that's probably not much of an issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2016 17:32 #78007 by andypugh
If there was a QT version of VCP, would all the existing GladeVCP widgets need to be re-created?

More
25 Jul 2016 18:48 #78011 by newbynobi

If there was a QT version of VCP, would all the existing GladeVCP widgets need to be re-created?

Short answer : Yes!

If we stay with gtk and update to gtk3 they only have to be updated, but we will not have 3D window support. It is possible with a lot of work around and may also be added in the future.

Another toolkit that I use a bit is FLTK, and it is really pretty nice.

Never heard from it, what coding language does that one need?

Norbert

More
25 Jul 2016 19:06 #78012 by mozmck
It is written in a simple C++, but I think there are other language bindings as well. www.fltk.org
One thing lacking with FLTK as far as I know is a way to load a GUI from a description file (xml?) at runtime. This could be implemented and I know of at least one project to do that, but I think it is abandoned.

Even with Qt the widgets should probably be written in C++ IMO. They can then be in a library and have bindings and be used in any language.

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds