Pocket number does not update

More
26 Aug 2011 18:23 #12755 by GStewart
I have been running my Cincinnati 10HC2500 for about a year now on EMC (currently running 2.4.5) . I decided to get the tool changer working so that the machine could run lights out.

The tool changer is now working properly, but does not update the pocket number in the tool table. I have added " RANDOM_TOOLCHANGER = 1 " to the EMCIO section of the INI file. As I understand from the documentation, the pocket number should be changed by EMC after driving the iocontrol.0.tool-changed pin high. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2011 20:12 #12757 by BigJohnT
Are you changing tools with?

Tn M6 G43

Or do I not understand what you mean by updating the pocket?

Just to be clear your tool changer is a "one for one" exchange type of changer?

John

More
26 Aug 2011 22:14 #12762 by GStewart
The machine is a 30 tool chain type magazine with a twin arm style tool changer.

The tool change works great, I can change from the MDI page as well as from the program

I wrote a program like;

T1 M6
G04 P1
T15 M6
G04 P1.....

working my way through the whole magazine in different direction to make sure everything was working and counting properly.

But in the tool table page, the POC numbers never change. In the above example, shouldn't the POC number change from 1 to 15 when the changer switches T1 from the spindle and puts it into the T15 chain pocket?

The tool number at the bottom of the main page does change as well as the physical view of the tool on the preview window. (cone to cylinder, etc)

Thanks
Glenn

More
27 Aug 2011 01:15 #12766 by andypugh
GStewart wrote:

T1 M6
G04 P1
T15 M6
G04 P1…..

You need a G43 if you want to use tool-table offsets. it isn't automatic.

But in the tool table page, the POC numbers never change.

I am not sure that they are meant to until you quit. The tool table is static data.
(when I say "I am not sure, that isn't a self-deprecating figure of speech, I really do mean I am guessing)

I was expecting to find the pocket number as a #parameter like tool number (#5400) but it doesn't seem to be there.

You could use halmeter to look at iocontrol.0.tool-prep-pocket but that isn't necessarily exactly the right signal.

More
27 Aug 2011 03:22 #12768 by GStewart
Andy,
Thanks for the reply but I don't think you understood my question.

I started with all the pocket numbers in the tool table matching the tool numbers.

Then I load a tool, for instance T1 from tool chain pocket 1. Now T1 is in the spindle. After I am finished with T1 , I call another, say T15.
The tool chain rotates to pocket 15 and removes tool 15 with one hand of the twin arm. The swing arm rotates to the front and the empty hand of the twin arm grabs T1 from the spindle and swaps it with T15.
Then the swing arm rotates back to the chain and puts T1 into Pocket 15. And what should happen now is that the tool table should be updated so that T1 is in POC 15. The next time I call T1, the chain needs to rotate to tool chain pocket 15 to get it. This is normal random tool behavior. But, for some reason the tool table is never updated.

There are two s32 for this (from the IOCONTROL section of the manual)

iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number (s32, Out) The number of the next tool, from the RS274NGC T-word

iocontrol.0.tool-prep-pocket (s32, Out) The pocket number (location in tool storage mechanism) of the next tool, as described in the tool table

I am passing tool-prep-pocket to classicladder for my chain rotation.

And from the tool change docs in the wiki

Non-random tool changer -- a type of changer where the current tool is unloaded into an empty pocket, the changer moved to the pocket holding the new tool, and the new tool is loaded from this pocket.

Random tool changer-- a type of changer where the current tool is exchanged with the tool in the prepared pocket.

Tool number-- unique identification for a tool. Depending on mechanism, a tool number might or might not identify a pocket. In the case of a random toolchanger, the tool table holds the mapping from tool number to pocket number; on tool change, the tool table is updated to reflect the tool's new pocket position.

I also read somewhere in my searches that EMC handles the updating of the tool table.

Thanks
Glenn

More
27 Aug 2011 10:57 #12770 by andypugh
GStewart wrote:

Then the swing arm rotates back to the chain and puts T1 into Pocket 15. And what should happen now is that the tool table should be updated so that T1 is in POC 15. The next time I call T1, the chain needs to rotate to tool chain pocket 15 to get it. This is normal random tool behavior. But, for some reason the tool table is never updated.

I just tried it with 2.5-pre and it worked as expected.
(Actually, the pocket numbers stay the same, in the same sequence, but the tool numbers and offsets in each pocket change)
Did you put the "RANDOM_TOOLCHANGER = 1" in the correct section of the ini file [EMCIO]?

More
27 Aug 2011 12:10 #12772 by andypugh
I have done a bit more experimenting.

With 2.4.3 RANDOM_TOOLCHANGER = 1 prevents EMC2 from loading at all. (I got a bit confused, as RANDOM_TOOLCHANGE = 1 doesn't cause any loading problems, but doesn't work either).
With 2.4.6 It all seems to work fine.

This is using hal_manualoolchange.

Is it possible that your toolchanger isn't correctly setting some pins that hal_manualtoolchange does?

More
27 Aug 2011 12:29 #12774 by BigJohnT
GStewart wrote:

I wrote a program like;

T1 M6
G04 P1
T15 M6
G04 P1.....

The program should be like this:

T1 M6 G43
T15 M6 G43

Can you zip up and attach your config files and the sample g code file you use?

John

More
28 Aug 2011 19:29 #12794 by GStewart
John,

I think I have found the problem. It appears that you need a POC 0 line in your tool table. I was a little confused by why I would need to activate tool length compensation (G43) to make the tool table update.
I ran the program both ways (with and without G43) and it seems to update the tool table now properly.

Is there any way to make the tool table sort by T numbers and not POC numbers?

Thanks to both you and Andy for your help in this.

Glenn

More
29 Aug 2011 11:39 #12811 by BigJohnT
There is no mention of a POC 0 being required in the manual. I'll look into that. According to the manual EMC rewrites the pocket number to keep track of the tool... I don't know of any way to change the sort order. It seems normal that you would always use a G43 (use currently loaded tool) with a tool change.

John

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds