THC config that works.

More
10 Jun 2014 05:28 #47826 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic THC config that works.
The thcud component is part of the 2.6 repository. I don't have that type of THC so I can't really test it. The thc component is for the Mesa THCAD card.

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2014 07:22 #47830 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic THC config that works.

What happened to a post by 'landskroner' ??? Now it looks like i'm chatting with myself

I saw it. He might have decided to delete it, or perhaps an evil moderator? But I don't think we have evil moderators. (I aspire to the role)

More
11 Jun 2014 01:03 #47856 by BosniaCNC
Replied by BosniaCNC on topic THC config that works.
Tommylight:
"Bosniacnc did you mange to get it working ? Bosanac jesi uspio da testujes masinu?"

Dear friend,
ESTOP button does not respond, and it drives me crazy! All variants have tried and not to include.
Tomorrow I'll put up here correction in hal file.

Sve sam pokušao i neće da uključi. Limit Z sam stavio pod # i ne reaguje. Sutra ću ti ovde postaviti kopije.
Pozdrav

More
11 Jun 2014 06:21 - 14 Sep 2020 21:04 #47868 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THC config that works.
Here's a detailed HOWTO for this config, also added to the attachment together with modified gcodetools for this config.
Pasted from the README:
May,26, 2014, Peja, Republic of Kosovo Europe
by Toma

This is a fully functional configuration file for Linuxcnc to be used
with any and all of the "simple THC" systems on sale, like:
-Proma Elektronika Compact THC (tested and verified on production machines)
-Cand CNC LCTHC should work with minor editing of files mentioned and explained below
All that output "UP""DOWN""ARCOK" signals even those that normaly use 2 parallel ports
can be made to work with only 1 parallel port if you can manage the changes in wiring
and change the pins in the config files.

This setup is configured with slightly relaxed timings so can be used even on older
systems and systems with lattency problems with a bit of trial and error.
It is based on the "thc_300" config found bundeled with Linuxcnc but it is heavily
modified to my needs and since in it's original form it does not work due to feed errors.

Some more info.
The config works flawlessly so here are some functions that were already implemented and
some added.

0- IT does not need 2 parallel ports, just a single one. Granted you don't use limit
switches.

1- Absolutely noo need for Z axes anything, so remove anything related to Z axis in Gcode
since it will slow down the execution waiting for it, but it will not efect the axes,
the machine WILL function properly even if you have Z values.

2- The floating switch, if it trips while running in auto mode, it will force an E-stop
and halt the machine so try to make the floating switch as sensitive as posible, if the
nozle dives into material it will stop everything.

3- It will remember last position so even on power loss you can continue exactly where it
left. I added this since where i live power outs are very frequent so it is a life
saver (or material and time saver in this case).

4- If the plasma cutter stops for any reason (mine beeing heat due to running full time
doing 11meter cut 3 second pause and again 11 meters and..........10 hours a day) it
will stop movement and try to fire the torch several times and wait for ARCOK. To
continue just press F9 and do a right click and "run from here" over the highlighted
gcode line. The Z axis will again find the metal and move up and fire the torch and
continue as usual.

5- No need for a post processor at all, exept if you need "lead in and lead out",
so NO G38.2 or whatever, nothing. Everything works with M3, finding the metal, moving
to pierce height firing the torch and moving on.
I have added the "gcodetools" for "inkscape" with modications needed for outputing gcode
with only M3 and M5 for every cut.

Some tips on editing attached files :
-Use a text editor like "gedit" or "vi" or "nano" or "notepad" in windows, do not use
word procesors.
-Add a "#" sign (shift+3) without quotes in front of any line you dont need, and remove
the same sign in front of any line you need.
-Always have a copy of all config files set as "read only" for safety if something goes
wrong during editing.

Before you start, be sure to check the "parport addres" and the output pins for motor
drives in the "thc_parport.hal" file, see picture "thc_parport.hal.png".
The "thc_parport.hal" has only the outputs for motor controls ( step and direction pins )
with added lines for reverse direction of any of the axes if it need be. There are
settings for 4 axes although i use 3. Check your output pins and edit this file based on
your setup. The standard pin order should be (yours may vary) :
-pin 2 Xstep
-pin 3 Xdir
-pin 4 Ystep
-pin 5 Ydir
-pin 6 Zstep
-pin 7 Zdir
etc etc

Next change the pins in the "thc.hal" file to match the "UP","DOWN","ARCOK","TORCH ON" signals.
You need to check for positive or negative input signals and change that based on the break
out board you are using. See picture "thc_hal.png". There are already lines for positive AND
negative type inputs, you just need to omit the ones you don't need and remove # in front
of the ones you need.

Also you need to change the "scale" "velocity" and "acceleration" in "Axes Section" in
the "thc_toma.ini" file to mach your setup. See picture "thc_toma.ini.baseperiod.png" and
"thc_toma.ini.velocity.accel.png".

For "scale" i use "40" since i have full step drives connected to 200 step/rev
(1.8 degre/step) motors attached to 5mm/rev ballscrews. This is simple
math: steps per rev/mm per rev, in my case 200/5=40.

For "velocity" use anything between 30 and 100 that your setup can handle without
loosing steps or stalling. The value is mm per second so 30 is 1800mm/minute
and 100 is 6000mm/minute.
FYI do this for each AXIS separatly or just use a value that is below the maximum
your setup can handle to be on the safe side. For actual cutting on a plasma the
maximum usable speed is about 4200mm/minute for cutting a 1mm thick mild steel plate,
in this case that would be a value of 70 for "velocity".

For "acceleration", again depending on your setup, put 300 to 800, that is mm/s squared,
but for geting sharp corners you need at least 500 if cutting under 3mm thick
plates, 300 for 4 to 6mm thick plates and 100 if cutting anything over 10mm. But if
your setup can handle 300 and above just leave it there, do not change this.

This config also remembers last machine position so if the machine is not moved while
powered off, you can continue from where it left. This is done since where i live
power outs are a normal occurence.

Regards,
Tom
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 21:04 by tommylight. Reason: typo

More
15 Jun 2014 04:43 #47972 by tommylight

Tommylight:
"Bosniacnc did you mange to get it working ? Bosanac jesi uspio da testujes masinu?"

Dear friend,
ESTOP button does not respond, and it drives me crazy! All variants have tried and not to include.
Tomorrow I'll put up here correction in hal file.

Sve sam pokušao i neće da uključi. Limit Z sam stavio pod # i ne reaguje. Sutra ću ti ovde postaviti kopije.
Pozdrav

Gde nestade????
Did you download the new files ? give it a try and let me know how it goes.

More
15 Jun 2014 05:07 #47974 by BosniaCNC
Replied by BosniaCNC on topic THC config that works.
Here I am (online). I installed version 2.6 and I see how it works.
I just set up the configuration of the EDM Charmilles Roboform 400,
View:
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...form-400-sinking-edm
Regards!

P.S. Moram tvoj fajl ponovo snimiti i pokušati pokrenuti ono dugme.

More
29 Aug 2014 02:33 - 29 Aug 2014 03:53 #50427 by bubels
Replied by bubels on topic THC config that works.
Hi,

Trying to use your setup and I have a problem.
when I move the axis z manually, it moves correctly (speed and acceleration is correct)
In the program, when the axis z going down in search of material (float switch) screwed up a lot higher speeds exceeding the capabilities of the machine.
I would add that in all axes have trapezoidal screw 4mm powered by the same engine and the same drivers.

Changing the settings for axis 2 affects the work in manual mode, but not automatic.

Any idea?

By the way, the manual does not mention setting the enable signal for drivers

I have found the solutions:

in stepper.hal

line:
#setp stepgen.2.maxvel [AXIS_2]MAX_VELOCITY

We need to remove #
Last edit: 29 Aug 2014 03:53 by bubels.

More
29 Aug 2014 05:34 #50436 by tommylight
I thought i wrote an explanation about that on the howto file ???? I don't remember now but i am glad you made it work.
Now if you could be bothered to share some pictures of your setup, it would be nice.
Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Tom

More
28 Dec 2014 07:53 #54329 by freemoore
Replied by freemoore on topic THC config that works.
Tom,

I am setting up my homebuilt CNC (in Scotland) using a proma-elektronika DTHC and am using your config files, with pins changed to match my setup. Test mode on Proma gives the correct UP, DOWN, and ARC OK signals visible in Linuxcnc. I can't get the system out of ESTOP; the ESTOP connections are spread across two separate .hal files and I'm not sure how to configure them. The pin is correct as tested with a different config for the same machine. Halfiles attached - can you help me with this?

Andy
Attachments:

More
28 Dec 2014 08:58 #54330 by freemoore
Replied by freemoore on topic THC config that works.
My bad, I had uncommented some estop-related things and when I returned them to the same as in the downloaded .hal files it worked ok. Now wrestling with trivkins vs gantrykins - my machine's happy on trivkins in another configuration. Can't get the axes to jog at the moment.

a

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds