Tool change position

More
07 Oct 2014 19:06 #51845 by Tom_R2E3
If I add "TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 0 0 127" to my .ini then the machine goes to X0 Y0 Z127 abs, all axes simultaneously, when I issue M6. (this is also my home position)

Is there a way to get the machine to go to Z127 first, then X0Y0?

I see "TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP" is available, but this forces the machine to Z0 (abs) before moving to X0 Y0 Z127 which is kind of the opposite of what I need.

Many thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 23:19 #51857 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Tool change position
Hi

I think the question is, how is your home position for Z at 127 ?

I can only assume your home switch is miles away from top of Z travel and you are using a huge offset figure?

It should be 0 0 0 in machine units, nothing else makes much sense and it certainly seems to be causing difficulty.

If it was, you would simply be able to use TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP to move the Z axis, followed by TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 0 0 to move X and Y

If you stick with this setup, you may need to use G53 Z127, G53 X0 Y0 to get where you want, gcode, halui.mdi, remapping or whatever

regards

More
08 Oct 2014 20:37 #51896 by Tom_R2E3
Replied by Tom_R2E3 on topic Tool change position
Ah. Yeah OK that makes more sense. I've never used another mill before, and that's just how I set this up - with 0 0 0 at the bottom of Z. I've switched it around now and it works better your way :)

Thanks.

More
08 Oct 2014 21:21 #51899 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Tool change position

I've switched it around now and it works better your way :)

Glad to hear it.

The Z axis is a peculiarity, on both conventional mills and lathes, in that all moves away from home are always negative in absolute terms
because it is homed at the furthest extent of its travel from table / chuck
An X or Y axis could be homed in the centre of the table and have positive and negative movements.

One way to think about it, is that potentially you could be machining something that barely fitted under the cutter, or between the centres,
so any move towards the table or chuck, could be a cutting move.

It was with this in mind that the HOMING_XXX commands were built.

regards

More
28 Feb 2016 14:41 #70749 by G0G53Z148
Replied by G0G53Z148 on topic Tool change position
Hello to all knoing people here.

I have a same Problem here and looking for the solution.

With an great User of the comunity, he write a custom Firmware for My mesa 5i25 to connect it to my Paralell BOB VERRY BIG THANK YOU !!

No i fire up the machine all configuret and some bugs seen in the PNCCONF hut its handleable.

The Machine is on enable Homing fulli automatic, but when i try to change the tool the Z axis will move to Z0 Absolute.
My Physical switch for homing is Z300, X286 and Y 110.

I have witten to the EMCIO section
TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 120 50 298
and set the TOOL_CHANGE_QUILL_UP to 0

Please why must the Z axis move on Quil up to absolute Z Zero? My other machine with an older Version of Linuxcnc is not doing this there are the Homeswitch at the z Axis on Z+max too

i have read about remapping others but i dont have no knowing of this
please whats the spimplay way without extra code and sublevels that the machine gt up ob tx M06

thank you for help again

More
28 Feb 2016 18:15 #70758 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Tool change position
yes you can have any axis move first or in sequence or together
see the [axis 0 ] sections , under each is a home sequence either 0 ,1, 2 3, changing these will change the order of which axis homes first , if 2 of the axis you use the same number then they will move both together
if you have z as 3 , y as 2 , and x as 1 they will move in order etc

More
29 Feb 2016 13:42 #70810 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool change position

The Machine is on enable Homing fulli automatic, but when i try to change the tool the Z axis will move to Z0 Absolute.

Is that something that M6 is doing? Or is this something that you see in G-code?

Some post-processors insert a G53 Z0 in the G-code. Is it possible that this is what is happening?

It is probably worth setting the Z home switch to zero and having the Z axis run from -298 to 0, just because some CAM software assumes that Z=0 is all the way up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: G0G53Z148

More
29 Feb 2016 14:58 #70814 by G0G53Z148
Replied by G0G53Z148 on topic Tool change position
thank you andy

when has this change be? my other machine is with 2.4 and there is the homwswitch on z150 and when i made the toolchange the machine moves up to the top. The machine can move to G53 Z150

so i did it again ath the new software and there it is different . this new machine now can only move to g53 z-300 and Z-0

i thought i have done a mistake here
thank you

More
29 Feb 2016 15:07 #70816 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool change position

when has this change be? my other machine is with 2.4 and there is the homwswitch on z150 and when i made the toolchange the machine moves up to the top.

I don't think anything has been deliberately changed. Your configuration should be valid for LinuxCNC. I was only suggesting changing it to be compatible with the assumptions of some CAM systems.

More
11 Mar 2016 17:16 #71437 by gizmo6023
Replied by gizmo6023 on topic Tool change position

Is that something that M6 is doing? Or is this something that you see in G-code?

Some post-processors insert a G53 Z0 in the G-code. Is it possible that this is what is happening?

It is probably worth setting the Z home switch to zero and having the Z axis run from -298 to 0, just because some CAM software assumes that Z=0 is all the way up.

I had my machine configured with Z0 at the top of the travel and the table set as Z-13.2, AXIS displays all moves in Z as starting from under the material and I was getting a lot of error messages about exceeding Z min limit. I now have the issue you mention of my CAD/CAM software issuing a command to plunge the bit into the table (G53 G0 Z0). Can AXIS be configured to display properly when using negative values?

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds