Getting started with Linux, LinuxCNC and CNC

More
08 Jun 2016 07:44 #75674 by sharpshooterser
Hi
As the topic says, I am totaly new to this. Linux as an os, CNC operating at all and LinuxCNC as a software to drive my machines.
For now I am concentrating on my Emco Compact 5PC lathe (I also have a mill but that has yet to be conquered).
After a bit of fiddling, I got the 5PC to listen to emc2 commands, using the configuration that Sam made for his. Machine is using genuine steppers and electronics.
I have no limit/home switches set, and its most likley to stay that way in the future.
Now, I am here at baby steps. What is the next step I should do?
I ve spent hours reading, but I am pretty much clueless what to do next?
Tooltable would be a logic thing to do? From what I could find and read about, I didnt get what is that I am supposed to do.
So could you help me out here , step by step, like explaining everything to some empty brainer :)
All the parts that I intend to produce are drawn/modeled in Solidworks, but we will get to that point of generating g code and making it usable in production.
Thank to all of you in advance, for the help I am sure I will get here
Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2016 10:48 #75679 by BigJohnT
I do 95% of my Ops using the ngcgui interface on my lathe.
gnipsel.com/shop/hardinge/hardinge.xhtml
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gui/ngcgui.html

Does your lathe have a tool turret?

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

More
08 Jun 2016 10:52 #75680 by andypugh

I have no limit/home switches set, and its most likley to stay that way in the future.

Limits and homes are rather useful, it means that the machine knows where it is.

Tooltable would be a logic thing to do?

I don't know if there is much point having a tooltable if you have no repeatable homing. You might as well just touch-off G54 every time you change tools.

Have you run any G-code yet? Try running the lathe_pawn.ngc file in the sample nc_files directory. Initially with no tool and no stock, but you can make the actual part if you want, it needs 25mm stock and assumes that it is faced-off to Z=0 and the end of the stock and that Z=-32mm doesn't hit the chuck.

Don't make the mistake I did, of touching-off in radius mode to a diameter measurement. (Live and on video )

More
08 Jun 2016 11:03 #75681 by BigJohnT
I forgot to mention cut lots of air as Andy said and always do a chicken check after touching off. Move the tool to a location that you know the XZ should be and check that the DRO matches.

JT

More
08 Jun 2016 15:23 #75689 by sharpshooterser
Well, I intend to use several tools for one job, so I guess i do need a tool table set? Touching off is the correct method when you start a part for a t1, and from defined offsets the rest should know where they are? Is there a simple explanation how to do that?
Homing and stop switches are good thing I know, I might add them in the near future.
I tried cutting air for bishop, and then made the actual part from acetal (tried to make a video too but something wasnt cooperating in that process :) ). I used totaly wrong insert, but the bishop came out nicely after all :) And thank youdor touching off advice, I could of easily make the same mistake :)
As for interface, I use axis.
After tool setup, I should move on to getting usefull gcode from the parts drawings...

More
09 Jun 2016 11:55 #75717 by andypugh

Well, I intend to use several tools for one job, so I guess i do need a tool table set?

Yes, if you have a suitably repeatable toolpost,

One way to work is to have a "master" tool that you make sure always has zero offsets everywhere. You can then take a test-cut with that and use the "touch-off" button to set the coordinate system.
You can then make a cut with another tool and measure the work, then touch-off again, this time into the Tool-Table.
This way the offsets of each tool are differences from the Master tool. And when you start a new job everything should work once you have touched off the coordinate system with the master tool.

More
10 Jun 2016 13:16 #75764 by sharpshooterser
Got it on master tool and following. Just to figure out how :)
Also, any suggestions on easy to use cad cam programs? Basicly, I will be making simple ball shapes, and threads, on a previosly prepeed stock.

More
10 Jun 2016 13:45 #75768 by andypugh

Got it on master tool and following. Just to figure out how :)

"Touch-off" is a button in the Axis GUI.

Also, any suggestions on easy to use cad cam programs? Basicly, I will be making simple ball shapes, and threads, on a previosly prepeed stock.

This looks promising:
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/20-g-code/27040...es-first-tests#75706

More
10 Jun 2016 21:52 #75790 by sharpshooterser
The more I read about all this, and not having anyone to explain me the basics, I am about to toss everything. I did have good intentions and willingnes to learn, but all of this is either too hard for me to undersrand (and I believe I am clever enough to understand and learn a lot) or is it basicly poorly described. Online tutorials, video tutorials, everything is, in my point of view, "explained" in a way that someone without the quite good previous knowledge couldnt understand almost nothing.
Plus no one that I know personally that is operating machinery is using this software, and that makes thing even harder.
Thank you gents for your effort, but I have to pull the plug on this.

More
11 Jun 2016 00:07 #75794 by Todd Zuercher
Sorry you feel this way. It seemed like you were most of the way there, but most or the info here and elsewhere, assumes that the user has a basic knowledge of general cnc and machining operations. Truly good and basic beginner tutorials are few and far between. Add on top of that a machine build/conversion, and it is indeed a very steep and long learning curve. Sometimes a step back and take time to regather composer (take a break for a while) can make a big difference in times of greatest despair.

Good luck, Sorry we haven't been better help.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds