Getting started with Linux, LinuxCNC and CNC

More
22 Jun 2016 11:18 #76410 by sharpshooterser
Tried it, those are some nice features. But when I try to load the file in my setup, I get the error message, for instance I tried the OD template, and I get the "unknown o..."
Also, it would be nice to change the hal and ini files of mine configuration for metric features, but I am not sure which parts should be edited?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2016 08:30 - 23 Jun 2016 08:49 #76475 by Rick G
Can you post the exact error message you received and what you did to get it?

You can switch between inch and millimeters with G20 / G21

G20 - to use inches for length units.

G21 - to use millimeters for length units.

The start up and or preamble may set set your machine to inch or millimeters. When using ngcgui if you look in the .ini file you should see something like...

NGCGUI_PREAMBLE = lathe_std.ngc

and lathe_std.ngc will be run when you create and run a ngcgui feature.

In the sample files lathe_std.ngc looks like...
(not_a_subfile)

g18 (xz plane)
g20 (inches)
g40 (cancel cutter radius compensation)
g49 (cancel tool lengthoffset)
g90 (absolute distance mode)
g94 (units/min feedrate)
g54 (Coordinate system 1 default)

#<tol>  = 0.001
g64 p#<tol> (path control stop)

You could edit that to use G21 instead of G20 then save it as say lathe_mm.ngc the edit your .ini file to...
NGCGUI_PREAMBLE      = lathe_mm.ngc

Rick G
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 08:49 by Rick G.

More
23 Jun 2016 16:15 #76500 by sharpshooterser
I ll try to insert the images of whats going on when I try the OD.
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2016 16:21 #76501 by andypugh
Where are you saving the file to?

More
23 Jun 2016 16:22 - 23 Jun 2016 16:25 #76502 by Todd Zuercher
Sounds like it can't find the sub program named "od.ngc".
Should be as simple as saving the file in the right place, or correcting the path name in your ini file.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 16:25 by Todd Zuercher.

More
23 Jun 2016 16:22 - 23 Jun 2016 16:24 #76503 by sharpshooterser
Umm, in a folder on desktop where I save all my ngc files. I m still new at using this B)
I havent tried to save it in a place where it prompts me to do it
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 16:24 by sharpshooterser.

More
23 Jun 2016 16:38 #76505 by andypugh

Umm, in a folder on desktop where I save all my ngc files. I m still new at using this

That's fine, but you need to tell LinuxCNC to look there:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-co...ml#_rs274ngc_section

You might as well add that folder to M-path and Subroutine path.

By default linuxCNC only knows to look in ~/linuxcnc/nc-files

More
23 Jun 2016 19:24 #76508 by Rick G
Take a look in your .ini file there should be a line similar to...
PROGRAM_PREFIX = /home/rick/linuxcnc/nc_files
Copy the .ngc files you want to use such as od.ngc to that directory so linuxcnc can find them.

Or as Andy said you can also add the proper information to the .ini file for the directory that you want yo use instead.

Rick G

More
16 Jul 2016 21:38 #77556 by sharpshooterser
I ve been busy for a while, working on lathe quite much.

I did get the configuration files set up in metric units (thanks to Sam again), and I m a happy chap :)
For now, I wont be using other GUIs than the axis one. Simply, for all of the parts I am making at present, I ve been given access to a local firm that uses Solid, and I can generate code when I need it. Not sure about working PP, but after I generate code using Fanuc PP, I just hand edit a few bits and it runs OK.

I had a problem when I was using eCam for evaluation, with loosing dimension on parts if made successively (for example, first part was 12 mm in diameter, than 11.6 mm, then 11.2 mm) if I didnt do a touch off between the parts being made. I couldnt figure out what was the problem in PP and machine settings for eCam. Anyway, trial is over, and having that luck to be able to use Solid, I am working on that - learning and using.

But, again I have a problem with dimension loss, sort of speak. But now, dimensions on all parts are the same, just smaller than in the drawing. They should be lets say 12 mm OD, and they are 11.6 mm OD. Luckily, every parts is the same. I was using just one tool for doing the turning work.
I do configure the tool(s) used when generating code as they are, with shape, nose radius etc, but I still havent set up the tool table in LinuxCNC. I figured that it has to do something with tool radius offset?
I ve read several available tutorials on how to set up the tool table, but I m afraid that I m still confused on how to do it. I do a manual change (have only 4 tools at the moment due to lack of tool holders, but I will get more).

I am using one right hand tool, one external threading tool, left hand tool and internal threading tool. Inserts are 35 degree ones. What also bugs me is how to touch off the left hand tool for Z, and how to properly set the threading tool?

Also, in a short time I will do a hardware upgrade of my Emco Compact 5 PC, although this configuration is working nicely - but I do want more speed and precision after all (5 degree steppers are odd, and honestly I dont like the sound that they are making lol). I ll also tweak the carriage gibs (replace the plastic ones with brass), make a new spindle that has a threaded end so I can replace current radial bearings with ones that can take axial loads - and threads on the end are necessary so I can create preload on them, and at the end, alter the motor speed control - from belt changing, to PWM or VFD. I hope that you will be so kind to help me go through this (I am familiar with basic setup stuff, but for instance hooking up and setting up the spindle encoder - I would like to continue using existing one).

More
16 Jul 2016 21:51 #77557 by BigJohnT
If you have not read this you need to...
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/lathe/lathe-user.html#_tool_path

Depending on the profile your cutting you will need to use tool diameter offset.

On my lathe I do 95% of my ops with ngcgui and just program each step in then concatenate them to a singe file. I do face, od, taper od, thread od, drill, bore id, tap and I'm sure there are more.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharpshooterser

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds