Steppers run in StepConf but not in AXIS

More
14 Jul 2016 20:10 - 14 Jul 2016 23:05 #77456 by Marshal28437

O.K. perhaps look in your configuration files to make sure the correct parallel port address is in the file.
Also double check that you are running the configuration you created with Stepconf and not some other config.
One way to check is to edit the MACHINE name in your ini file and when you run linuxcnc make sure that is shown in the top.

Rick G

I think the parallel port address is very likely the issue but I'm too much of a n00b to know how to check the configuration file (do you mean .hal file by this?)

I did figure out how to change the machine name in the .ini file to make sure that I was running the correct configuration and I did see the change, so that part is good.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2016 23:05 by Marshal28437. Reason: Updated my findings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2016 18:42 #77519 by Marshal28437
Ok in the BIOS I checked that My default parallel port address is 378h addressing port 0 works for the StepConf and in the my_mill.hal there are many references to parport.0

As a test I modified the StepConf Parport Base Address to 0x378 and the StepConf Test this axis still worked like this so I modified the my_mill.hal and replaced all instances of "parport.0" with "parport.0x378" I'm not sure if this is valid or not but it didn't work any better or worse than before... Totally stumped here.

More
15 Jul 2016 20:07 #77527 by tommylight
Found your problem, you are running in simulator mode so nothing will move.
Make a new config with stepconf wizard, but this time on the second screen uncheck the last option "create a simulated something or another...."

And report back.
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marshal28437

More
15 Jul 2016 20:32 #77530 by Marshal28437

Found your problem, you are running in simulator mode so nothing will move.
Make a new config with stepconf wizard, but this time on the second screen uncheck the last option "create a simulated something or another...."

And report back.
Tom

That was it!

I cant believe it, I must have gone past that page a dozen time and didn't think twice about that check box.

I knew it was something simple.

Thanks Tom and everyone else for all of your help I'm sure I'll be calling on your help again before too long. :)

More
15 Jul 2016 21:32 #77532 by tommylight
You are more than welcomed, any time.
Tom

More
11 Sep 2016 23:52 #80348 by tim@home
Newbie here as well with the exact same problem. A search on the forum last night turned up the answer to my issue.

When running Stepconf uncheck the "create simulator" box on the second screen.

I spent many hours playing with parport this and that. 10 minutes after joining this forum my machine was running.

More
12 Sep 2016 14:59 #80364 by tommylight
Glad you got it working.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds