Lathe with C-axis and live tooling

More
30 Aug 2016 20:15 #79746 by tjones
Hi guys,

I am almost done building a CNC gangtool lathe. I am using AC servos for X and Z as well as a large one for the spindle, so I will have C axis control. I am also planning on getting a spindle with a vfd for live tooling. (like the one in the link below) I am not sure how to program the live tooling portion of it and also how to program switching from turning mode to C axis control.

Live Tooling Spindle:
www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-COOLED-1-5KW-USA-...b:g:UEcAAOxygPtSyRIs

Thanks,
Tosh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2016 19:23 #79797 by emcPT
See this:

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/38-general-linu...-done-need-some-help

Basically linuxCNC does not natively support a C axis "out of the box", because when the spindle is working the C axis also will try to maintain the last position that it was commanded to.
Mr Andy reply is for what I know the only possibility that does not imply the change on linuxcnc source code. However each time that the you change between spindle mode and C mode, the chuck would need to index itself.

More
31 Aug 2016 19:32 #79798 by emcPT
Just another thing: That spindle that you see in ebay is good for engraving. Do not expect more than that because the speed is probably to high (normally they are quite speedy - you should check, I took a look and I saw nothing related with speed).
In my machine, a professional grade machine with pre build live tooling the live tool motor is 3phase 6 poles, this means that the torque will be higher at about 900 rpm (for 50Hz), that is a good milling speed for mid range tools. The range of the milling speed can be set from 50 to 3000 rpm.

More
01 Sep 2016 16:48 - 01 Sep 2016 16:50 #79847 by andypugh
I have an experimental patch that adds support for multiple spindles to LinuxCNC. But I don't intend to merge it until after 2.8 is released.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/4c95...2bf3b843742b25993a92
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 16:50 by andypugh.

More
01 Sep 2016 21:29 #79882 by emcPT
:ohmy: That seems a lot of work!

How this addresses the issue related with the C axis? C axis already works out of the box (with the problem reported on my/jtc post before that you also commented).
From the description of your patch it allows the use of multiple spindles, but on the issue of a lathe with a C axis + live tooling, there are not multiple spindles available, basically the live tool is a simple tool commanded in X and Z (plus the C that is the same spindle). Maybe I am seeing less than I should?

More
02 Sep 2016 10:07 #79896 by andypugh

:ohmy: That seems a lot of work!

How this addresses the issue related with the C axis?

It doesn't. But it would allow you to rigid-tap with live tooling.

More
02 Sep 2016 20:04 #79928 by tjones
I don't anticipate any problems switching or running the C axis, even if it has to re-index the spindle every time you switch. In terms of live tooling I still haven't decided what I am going to do, however I may run two live tools. One for milling purposes, no feedback needed but speed control in software would be nice. The second live tool would be for rigid taping. Another option is use a single servo to run two parallel spindles, one for milling and one for rigid taping. In that option I guess I would want control like the spindle and C axis. Just for a different axis.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds