Need help to orient spindle with analog VFD

More
13 Sep 2016 14:42 #80400 by PCW
Also unless you have a absolute encoder you _DO_ need index (at least to home once)
to be able to orient

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 15:06 #80402 by andypugh

Also unless you have a absolute encoder you _DO_ need index (at least to home once)
to be able to orient

True.

Adding spindles to the homing sequence is on my list of things to do.
It might suffice to add a very short G33.1 move to the startup G-codes, or possibly as an MDI_COMMAND linked to the axis is-homing pins.

More
13 Sep 2016 15:30 #80406 by backtime

I don't understand what you mean. The whole point of having two independent PID components is that you can tune them both to be correct for their tasks.

This is what I had not realized until PCW told me to use the P parameter to adjust the PID according to my needs

May be I wrong, I have the index on encoder spindle but orient component does not make any use.
Anyway I think scaling position PID as PCW advise can resolve the problem, In the coming days I will try to do so.

More
14 Sep 2016 03:11 #80425 by JR1050
Does your mill use any kind of a locking mechanism in its orientation! A shot pin or detent of some sort ? Is this the original spindle drive?if not, did the original use an orientation card? If it's a mechanical orientation, locking the spindle in place and setting the maker on the encoder to this position maybe all you need. You will have to write your own orient routine to reset the marker and fire the shot pin when the control sees the marker.
If your orient position is angular, you will also have to brake the spindle once it is in position.
I have done a couple with a mechanical orient. I can give you the code.

More
16 Sep 2016 08:38 #80487 by backtime
My driver lock spindle by DC injection, I have a pin that when active send DC current to spindle motor and lock it.

I have already modified the orient code to drive the DC injection pin when spindle is oriented, there is also the motion.spindle-locked pin that can be used for this purpose.

Now I'm trying to configure position PID following PCW and Andy directions, if you have some code that may help I would be very happy to see it.

Thank you.

More
16 Sep 2016 09:28 #80488 by Muzzer
DC injection will not lock your spindle. It creates a drag torque on the rotating spindle but at zero speed you will actually have zero torque. If you need to lock the spindle you may require an external electrically powered brake (eg friction or powder).

More
16 Sep 2016 12:46 #80496 by JR1050
I wasn't referring to a hal pin, I was referring to a mechanical shot pin. American machines tend to use them for spindle orientation, where as Japan likes to use an orientation board on the spindle drive that watches the orietation angle and locks the spindle with some sort of electric braking. My code is for a mechanical lock.

More
16 Sep 2016 13:24 #80498 by backtime

DC injection will not lock your spindle. It creates a drag torque on the rotating spindle but at zero speed you will actually have zero torque. If you need to lock the spindle you may require an external electrically powered brake (eg friction or powder).

Yes, I know is not a real lock, I use DC injection to stop spindle in position during orient cycle, for spindle lock, after oriented, I have an electrically powered brake.

I wasn't referring to a hal pin, I was referring to a mechanical shot pin. American machines tend to use them for spindle orientation, where as Japan likes to use an orientation board on the spindle drive that watches the orietation angle and locks the spindle with some sort of electric braking. My code is for a mechanical lock.

Ah ok, if you have code like that may be useful for driver electrical brake.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds