Need some help on configuration Plasma

More
26 Sep 2016 08:47 - 26 Sep 2016 14:05 #80921 by jeroenl
Hello, I am building an cnc plasma. And need some help. I have downloaded the latest version ( 2.7.7 ) And got everything running on a pc.
Using the wizard i have got x,y & z on my machine moving. So that is a great start. This is the first time i am building something like this. I am familiar with linux, but not an expert.

But now i am stuck on several points, i have tried to research it to my best ability's and what i am trying to do is not anything new but cant find the answers. So i hope the community can help me. Here is a list of issue's i cant figure out.

1) How to configure the touch button ? My Z axis has an switch for detecting the height of the metal ( THC wil be added later on) but i have no idea how to program it. Must this be part of the G-code to work?

2) Using the wizard the GUI is Axis, and i want to change it to Gmoccapy Plasma. i have tried to combine the sample ini file and the wizzard file, but cant seem to get it running. Is there some guide on this somewhere?

3) I have connected the plasma trigger as a spindle. But now it seems to be running from the start to the end of the program. Must i add starting and stopping of the plasma to the g-code? ?

Thank you in advance!
Last edit: 26 Sep 2016 14:05 by jeroenl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2016 17:12 #80941 by tommylight
1-If you want to use THC, you must have a floating torch holder, meaning there is one slider moved by the motor, to this slider you need another short slider with the limit switch and a spring, there are plenty of versions on the net just search for "floating head"
Here is one of earlier versions i had working for quite some time.

2-It is easier to use the existing gmoccapy config and edit that to your needs, but please do wait till someone else more experienced than me in gmoccapy replies to this.

3-You must add M3 and M5 to every start and end of a cut in gcode. There is gcode tools for inkscape that does that automaticly and converts the SVG to gcode for you, so use that, it is very easy to use and works like a charm.
github.com/cnc-club/gcodetools/tree/master/stable

Regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeroenl

More
26 Sep 2016 18:53 #80947 by jeroenl
Hi Timmylight, thanks for the reply. I have made a floating head ( did not know the word for it) and have a switch, have not figured out how and where to configure the switch.

More
26 Sep 2016 20:06 #80950 by tommylight
I do not use it, but here is the link to wiki about how to configure it.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Touch_Probe
So you will also need to add a preamble to gcode for every cut so it finds the part, retracts back to pierce height, fire the torch and go down to cutting heigh.
It would be nice to have an output from the plasma cutter for ARC OK signal so you could attach that signal to motion-spindle-at-speed, that way after firing the torch it would wait for that signal from plasma to resume moving (cutting).
I use THC on all machines i build, and i have a config that has all that automaticly done whenever an M3 is issued, waits for ARC OK, stops motion if arc is lost during cut and fires the torch again etc.
First thing first, get the machine moving, then get it cutting, fine tune it till you get repeatable good results, then move on to automating stuff on it step by step. That way you have the reward of seeing the machine work and the will to make it better.
Leme add some links,
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/49-basic-config...thc-150-setup-issues
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/49-basic-config...t-works?limitstart=0
Have a read there, plenty of useful info.
Also add some info on your setup, Linuxcnc version, drives, motors, pulley's, ballscrews, rack and pinion, type of plasma etc.
As for THC, if you have not decided yet, have a look at THCAD from mesa, a lot of people here use that and JT (a member here) is always very helpful with setting it up, he also wrote a comp for it and the subroutines for automating work.
There are also the 'simple' THC at low prices, and most of them do work, but point your attention to Candcnc and Proma Elektronika as they are quite easy to setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeroenl

More
26 Sep 2016 20:40 #80952 by jeroenl
This is useful info, i did not realise the probe part was part of the G code.
As mentioned the axis are moving, and the plasma is igniting.
Video of fist movement: www.facebook.com/TeamTieRip/videos/341998529465923/
Wil update if it works :)

More
26 Sep 2016 23:30 #80961 by BigJohnT
All my plasma files are here .

JT

More
10 Oct 2016 12:08 #81502 by jeroenl
The first cuts are a fact:

Need to fine tune a lot :)

But the problem i have is to set the correct value's in stepper config wizard. The demensions are not right.. its about 10 : 6.

My set-up : DM542 stepper drivers , 23Hs9430b Longs stepper motor. GT3 Belt 20 tooth pulley.

I have set the stepper drivers to 400 pulse/rev. So in the wizard i entered the same. + 2 driver microstepping
Pulley teeth : 20 : 1 i am guessing.
Leadscrew Pitch i have no idea how to calculate. The toothpitch of the belt is 3mm
Attachments:

More
10 Oct 2016 16:02 #81511 by Rick G
I think it is sometimes just easier to make a command move such as 10" and then measure how far the machine actually moved.
Compare the two and see what percentage off they are and then make the correction to your SCALE and measure again.

Rick G

More
10 Oct 2016 16:43 #81514 by Todd Zuercher
If you have a 20 tooth gear on a 3mm pitch rack (essentially what you have on a belt drive) you'd have 60mm/rev. 400steps/rev / 60mm/rev = 6 and 2/3 steps/mm for your scale. (You might what to consider adding further gear reduction.)

More
10 Oct 2016 17:45 #81517 by jeroenl

If you have a 20 tooth gear on a 3mm pitch rack (essentially what you have on a belt drive) you'd have 60mm/rev. 400steps/rev / 60mm/rev = 6 and 2/3 steps/mm for your scale. (You might what to consider adding further gear reduction.)

That makes sense. Probably up the steps/rev than on the driver.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds