What dists and versions really works?

More
03 Dec 2016 14:58 #83619 by PCW
I've been using 64 bit (but of course the kernel you build should match the OS so if you installed a 64 bit OS you must build a 64 bit kernel)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2016 15:13 #83621 by Moronicsmurf
After alot of fiddling and some help from pcw on irc yesterday i actually could compile a working preempt kernel under mint 18.. and it was fairly easy just took forever.. so know i guess i must compile 2.7.8 into uspace and try it out. And see if i burn this 7i76E card or not.

More
04 Dec 2016 10:32 #83663 by Moronicsmurf
So for those who want to try to compile for linuxmint.. i have some minor pitfalls to share.

1) Compile a preempt kernel yourself, getting any of the existing ones to work was a nogo. Dont forget to make modules_install AND dont forget to make headers_install (because linuxcnc looks for this as a deps)
2) RTAI is prefered it seems in config of the package but preempt works..
3) You will run into some package problems, for example "python-support" doesnt exist in newer ubuntus. But can be found and downloaded manually. Force install it with ignore-depends=<whatevertoignore> and then install the package that refers python-support instead then you have all the support you need and the reference for compiling.
4) libgtkprintui-2.2-dev package, this does not exist in newer ubuntus it was removed with 14.04 - but you can download this package from the "precise" distribution of ubuntu 12.x something. and force install it without its depends, once more this allows you to compile nothing more. And you wont be able to print from Ladder. (what it was supposed to help with).

This will get you through a compile, and you would run. before building it can help to run; dpkg-checkbuilddeps just to check so you arent missing anything. Then run debian/configure uspace (not -r) and you can then run a debuild -uc -us for making the install packages of linuxcnc. This will not install straight, it will require you to force install it with some ignore deps.. But it starts, works hal fires upp hardware will be found. And it seems to run as it should.

More
07 Dec 2016 21:03 #83754 by rodw
I've installed Mint 17.3, built the preemptive kernel and used git to get Linuxcnc source. But when I try to .configure it, I run into problems as I am unable to build a configure.

Here is my version
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ uname -v
#1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Dec 7 23:00:11 AEST 2016
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ uname -r
4.4.32-rt43
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ 

Here is the error that appears regardless of the parameters given to configure
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ ./configure uspace
Package libxenomai-dev exists, but information about its source package
is not available.  This most likely means that you do not have the
right deb-src lines in /etc/apt, or that you need to "apt-get update".
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc-dev/debian $ 

So looking at the configure code, it appears this block causes the error as it will alwyas run
# libxenomai-dev does encode the architectures, but we have to resort to awful
# shell juju to transform it into a proper dependency list
XENOMAI_DEV="$(apt-cache search -n libxenomai-dev | head -1 | awk '{print $1}')"
if [ ! -z "$XENOMAI_DEV" ]; then
    if [ `apt-cache showsrc libxenomai-dev 2>/dev/null | wc -l` -eq 0 ]; then
        cat 1>&2 <<-EOF
	Package libxenomai-dev exists, but information about its source package
	is not available.  This most likely means that you do not have the
	right deb-src lines in /etc/apt, or that you need to "apt-get update".
	EOF
	exit 99
    fi

Does this mean I need to install libxenomai-dev before I can configure linixcnc-dev? Nowhere have I seen this as being a requirement. I did try installing it with synaptic but it seemed to break Mint 18 so I've since installed Mint 17.3

Thanks.

More
07 Dec 2016 21:53 - 07 Dec 2016 21:53 #83756 by PCW
Possible something broken with the deb configure
I would just do a RIP build, it does not have that dependecy
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 21:53 by PCW.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds