Wiring VFD alarm(fault) signal to Linuxcnc- what signal to use?

More
06 Jan 2017 04:05 #85320 by nigel-tufnel
I want to have my VFD output an alarm high/low signal to my Mesa 7i76 if the VFD has a fault so Linux can stop motion/abort. I want to prevent cutting with a faulted (stopped) spindle if the VFD faults out for some reason. My VFD can output a high/low signal in a fault condition. What is the best Linuxcnc signal name to use to abort in this situation? Should I use 'estop-ext '? I already have 'estop-ext' connected to my e-stop panic button. Can it be connected to more than one input? Or is there a better signal pin to connect too?

Just to be clear, I am looking for the signal pin name to connect to in my .hal file.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2017 13:04 #85400 by BigJohnT
axis.N.amp-fault-in IN BIT

Should be driven TRUE if an external fault is detected with the amplifier for this joint

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

JT

More
07 Jan 2017 14:42 #85407 by PCW
It looks like motion should really have a spindle fault input
(at least so the error message makes sense)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

More
07 Jan 2017 19:30 - 07 Jan 2017 21:16 #85417 by nigel-tufnel
Thanks. I got it to work. Is there any reason or advantage to connect this to more than one axis? I have an 3 axis system. All axes and spindle stopped when I hooked up axis.0.amp-fault-in and triggered the signal.

Also, I have another request for best pin/signal to use. I want to input a signal into Linuxcnc that indicates that my stepper motors and spindle have their supply power turned on. This signal is a hi/low signal. Ideally this signal/pin would either show up as an button or not let me run a program until spindle/stepper power on.

Thanks.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 21:16 by nigel-tufnel.

More
07 Jan 2017 22:09 #85427 by Todd Zuercher
It doesn't really matter much other than communicating to you which amp is setting the alarm in the alarm message. In a regular closed loop servo system there isn't much need for the alarm, because a problem with the drive will set a following error and trigger a shut down anyway. Where these signals are really useful is with an open loop system such as position mode servos or steppers. Then a problem with a drive needs to be communicated to Linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds