Using proximity sensors for homing

More
14 Sep 2017 05:07 #98930 by usert_l
Hi all,
I'm using some proximity sensors as home switches and they have been giving me fairly consistent positioning (their accuracy are about within +/- 0.02mm so I think that's pretty good although I've seen some that can hold even tighter tolerance).

Instead of using limit switches I plan on setting up the travel limits in my configuration file. I think these soft limits rely on the home sensors positioning to work properly, is that correct? In this case, would it be more fail safe to have a NC or NO proximity sensors (used as home switch only)? I understand that for limit switch they should always be NO to be safer, but I think my case is a little different and want to know if someone can give me some advice.

As mentioned I use them as home switches only. Actually I have tried setting them up as home/limit shared but it would cause error saying " joint [x] on limit switch error" every time I tried homing. So the only way I've been able to home the machine is by setting up the sensors as Home switch only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2017 06:39 #98932 by rodw

Hi all,
Actually I have tried setting them up as home/limit shared but it would cause error saying " joint [x] on limit switch error" every time I tried homing. So the only way I've been able to home the machine is by setting up the sensors as Home switch only.

You need to use the homing offset to move the axis away from the homing switch far enough that the sensor is no longer triggered at the home position and then you will be sweet!
The following user(s) said Thank You: usert_l, Sadmeatball

More
15 Sep 2017 00:07 #98978 by usert_l
rodw,
Thanks for the tip. I checked and sure enough the home offset was set at 0 in my ini file. Changed it to a reasonable distance and now it homes without issues.

More
15 Sep 2017 03:44 #98980 by usert_l
Actually I just noticed in my ini file that there is a variable called HOME and another called HOME_OFFSET. Is there a difference between the two?

More
15 Sep 2017 12:26 #98992 by rodw
Sorry I'm away for the weekend just google "linuxcnc homing sequence "

More
15 Sep 2017 22:24 #99015 by Clive S

Actually I just noticed in my ini file that there is a variable called HOME and another called HOME_OFFSET. Is there a difference between the two?

Does this help:- www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/in....html#_home_sequence

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds