Install current master 2.8

More
07 Sep 2016 01:26 - 07 Sep 2016 17:32 #80105 by Todd Zuercher
For LMDE-2 (Linux Mint Debian Edition 2) you will want to use the debs for Jessie not Wheezy.
deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-rtpreempt

In Synaptic under Settings>Repositories, select Additional Repositories, then find and uncheck the repo line for your Linuxcnc 2.7. With it still highlighed click on Edit UTL... then pres ctrl+c to copy that URL line, then cancel. Next press Add a new repository... In the new window that pops up the URL for your 2.7-rtpreempt:should be there, change the 2.7 in that line to master and click Ok. Close the Software Sources window, and update.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 17:32 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2016 16:45 #80132 by islander261
Hello

Thanks for the tips. I am still not able to get the master branch listed in Synaptic. I updated the alternate sources with the required stanzas and disabled the ones pointing to 2.7 then followed this with an update. Still no master branch showing up in the main Synaptic window, the 2.7 branch is shown with a greyed out ! mark. I am sure this must be because I am running 64bit LMDE-2.

I have tried a manual RIP build but am stuck on one of the dependencies. The ./configure --with-realtime=uspace command ends with an error because it cannot find the gl.h file. The error message says this is part of the OpenGL package. I have searched for this in Synaptic to download and install but can't find the correct link.

John

More
07 Sep 2016 17:30 #80143 by Todd Zuercher
With the Preemt-RT kernel I don’t think it matters if it is 32 or 64 bit.

Could you copy and paste the URL for master that you are trying to use in Synaptic so we can check it for errors? It should be exactly the same as the above.

More
07 Sep 2016 17:41 #80146 by islander261
Todd

Thanks for taking interest i this, here are the two repository listings I am trying to use.
deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-rtpreempt

and
deb-src http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-rtpreempt

John

More
07 Sep 2016 18:02 #80151 by Todd Zuercher
I guess synaptic doesn't have a mark all upgrades any more, Oh well you can either double click on the repo line (but not the grey boxed !) to mark it for upgrade, or from the Package pull down menu select force version, to choose the new 2.8pre (aka Master) version. Then click apply.

More
07 Sep 2016 19:42 #80160 by islander261
Todd

thank you for your patient help. I found that for some reason I had to select package and then go to Package>Force Version and then all worked well.

John

More
10 Sep 2016 02:25 #80274 by islander261
All

Just a quick update. This all is working with using Synaptic to install the debs for LMDE-2. I even have gmcappy V2.X working in simulation mode. My next hurdle is to get all of this working with my 76I7E and THCad cards that are not connected to real hardware yet. My intention is to run a gantry plasma cutter with good torch height control. My only disappointment is that my lack of knowledge with all things Linux and Linuxcnc prevented me from successfully compiling the master branch from source. Again thank you to everyone that offered help.

John

More
10 Sep 2016 02:43 #80275 by Todd Zuercher
Compiling from source can be a pain even when you know what your doing. Sometimes filling all the needed dependencies can be very difficult, depending on the distro you are using.

More
19 Sep 2016 13:18 #80604 by terkaa
Replied by terkaa on topic Install current master 2.8
Ok I have now 2.8 installed. There is a box suggesting that automatic script will update .INI file. Can I trust that it does its job correctly?

Tero

More
19 Sep 2016 14:02 - 19 Sep 2016 17:20 #80606 by Todd Zuercher
Most likely not. I think the script can only be trusted for mostly standard configs. (3 maybe 4 axis Cartesian machines.)
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 17:20 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds