Newbie: 1st LinuxCNC install, crashes when I run it

More
27 Dec 2016 18:50 #84760 by andypugh

So I'm guessing my latencies are not so good.

No, in fact the latency is rather bad. You have 200µS and really you want closer to 20µS.

There may be ways to improve the latency with further BIOS changes and grub command line options.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RealTime

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2017 04:25 #85600 by vasiliy
I searched for some time and I got a feeling that RTAI not very supported while preempt rt is up-to-date with kernel.
So I downloaded and built linux-rt-devel version 4.9 and built LinuxCNC. Getting latency 3000 on servo thread and 12000 on base thread. Only on idle machine. When I start watching youtube videos it jumps 40000 each.
Not sure if that significant or not, but there is message on the console "Note: Using POSIX realtime".

At this point I'm not really sure what more I can do. So I'm thinking I'll live with those latencies for now an focus on actually building cnc machine. Otherwise it will never be done.

Many thanks for all your help.

More
11 Jan 2017 22:27 #85629 by andypugh
40,000 is fine, especially if you avoid watching Youtube Videos while machining.

More
13 Jan 2017 17:48 #85706 by ronaldinho07
hello
i have a similar issues .
everytime i try to use,it runs into crash.
here's pic
What is the problem,thank you
amd phenom ll 1090t cpu

More
13 Jan 2017 19:51 #85712 by vasiliy
I never got to the root of the problem. Not good at dealing with Linux oopses.
I went into BIOS settings and disabled everything APM and some APIC things. That helped with crashes.
Curious, if this helps you, what your latencies would be.

More
08 Feb 2017 12:06 #87525 by bkt
It seems a videio/energy management, ram problem .... youtube -> crash ... use latency test and Monitor to see the latency result and cpu's usage .... or you can start axis, Monitor and than youtube .... so you can see ram and cpus usage during start of program and crash of Lcnc.

I hope these help.
Giorgio

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds