installed Debian 8.6 and need to reinstall linux 2.7

More
10 Jan 2017 19:51 #85583 by new2linux
just installed Debian 8.6 from usb/dvd, all looked good, (only to find I should of not over written linux) now update manager just will not work, tried apt-get update. What should I be looking or reading about? I have a linuxcnc-2.7-wheezy.iso why will this not reload?

Many thanks for any help!
Just don't know what I am looking for.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2017 11:51 #85609 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

More
14 Jan 2017 16:16 #85757 by new2linux
Many thanks tommylight, for your help! I have try several ways to install a file (linuxcnc-2.7wheezy.iso), I believe this is the most recent stable release of linuxcnc. After reading

(forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...xcnc2-7?limitstart=0)

"grub" the OP has several steps he used, I get stopped at "synaptic" command or "synaptic manger win/tab" will not recognize the USB thumb drive or file. After reading more at

(forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/9-installing-li...ion-on-debian-jessie) it may appear from quote from

"Todd Zuercher"

"Unfortunately that announcement about support for Jessie with RTAI may have been a little premature. (Someone really should add a note to that page with updated info.) Some time not long after that announcement was made it was found that that RTAI kernel version was crashing buildbot, so it was shut down and per-compiled versions of Linuxcnc are no longer available for it. It is unfortunate because I also feel that Jessie is much more polished/better release otherwise than Wheezy."

Is this still the case, or is there a workaround? What I need is a recent OS that works well with a linuxcnc package to run cutter path software on a mill.

Many thanks for all who may help in advance.

More
14 Jan 2017 17:45 #85762 by tommylight
In that case use Linux Mint 17.2 or 17.3, there is a thread on this forum by BigJT and a text file that you can run to install automated to the point of a single restart.
There is also a thread to do the same with an iso image, also automated except 2 lines in terminal, Just do a search for Linux Mint Iso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: new2linux

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds