Just playing around

More
14 Feb 2017 21:48 #87972 by grump
Just playing around was created by grump
HI Guys and Gals. I have been helping a local chap setup his machines but he insists on using Mach3 and telling me his machines are faulty so I made a minimal install of Linuxcnc and put it on my phone SD card so I had it with me whenever I went to him. By booting his pc's from my phone I showed him his machines working perfectly and his software setup that is wrong. I have now uploaded the ISO to a shared folder on the google cloud. I am happy to share it with you should you wish to download and try my version of Linuxcnc it is utilising the 9.0.1 rt amd64 kernel and has a LXDE desktop with very little else on it. compressed to just short of a gig and unpacks to about 3 gig. yes I could make it smaller but I have no need to.I am still working on it and will update it as I progress but have tested it on 5 machines including 2 laptops and it works just fine and dandy for me. It would be good to get some feedback from anyone who fancies having a play download it unpack it to a USB or DVD and fire it up. Download is here.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4WYtKHGJ__qSkgwNFNnamhYeWs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2017 22:05 #87974 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Just playing around
I will give it a try soon, i have plenty of hardware to test on, from 486 to i7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
15 Feb 2017 07:37 #87985 by Reinhard
Replied by Reinhard on topic Just playing around
Very nice!
I discovered, that you used debian testing for build, together with rt-kernel from debian.
How did you build linuxcnc?
I tried to setup a VM with debian testing, but I run into the same errors as before :(

Any hint is aprreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
15 Feb 2017 09:57 #87988 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Just playing around
I needed a quick take away working bootable system so compiled from fresh rather than try copying my machine install which by now is about 25 gig.

I did a net install, first one that came up from a google rt search. That installed to sd card fine and gave command prompt.

From there I wanted to keep it as light as possible as I only had a 4gig card. I then loaded lxde-core, lxtask, lxrandr, synaptic, gdebi and leafpad. Add my repo list to /etc/apt/sources.list. Edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to autologin "user".
Reboot to gui, install Google chrome with gdebi from google .deb, I now have browser (we all need to browse don't we?).

Run apt update and install linuxcnc from buildbot through synaptic, and anything else you may want to add but this was enough for me on this occasion.
To save space and keep it quick I deleted synaptic, gdebi, screensaver and alsa sound, I don't reckon it saved much so will leave them in on next run.
Fired it up on the cnc pc and put my configs in to test, wonderful it all works well, how long for I am not sure, It is probably very buggy but I haven't come across any issues yet.

I did have to run apt autoremove. update-grub, update-initramfs -u, before it would successfully bootcdwrite but it did it with no hiccups once that was done.

Hope this helps and gives you food for thought, good luck, have a lot of fun.

Here is my sources.list to save you looking at where to go.

File Attachment:

File Name: sources.txt
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

More
24 May 2017 06:14 - 24 May 2017 06:42 #93579 by clifo
Replied by clifo on topic Just playing around
How do I install your ISO?
How to unpack it?

THX
Last edit: 24 May 2017 06:42 by clifo.

More
24 May 2017 08:48 - 24 May 2017 08:56 #93583 by grump
Same as any other ISO, dd command, program such as Etcher or Unetbootin for USB, or burn to DVD.
It is not an install ISO it runs from DVD or USB although you could at the risk of losing all the space on your HDD, dd it across.
Last edit: 24 May 2017 08:56 by grump.

More
24 May 2017 09:54 #93584 by grump
Update on this project, I am now using the 4.9.0-3-rt-amd64 PREEMPT_RT image and with regular apt updates it is still working well.
I have not made another ISO as I didn't think there was any interest and it is only a play for my own benefit.

I have installed librecad, autotrace, kolourpaint4 to demonstrate how good a Linux alternative is to the other options.
I still can't convince my prospect who loves his fancy gui but doesn't know how to use it.

More
24 May 2017 10:23 #93586 by clifo
Replied by clifo on topic Just playing around
Etcher + USB = does not trigger
ISO -> DVD = does not trigger

Please send kernel configuration for kernel compilation (.config). I have the Intel J3455 that needs core a minimum of 4.8.
Do not post the kernel compilation process and its settings? This will certainly be of interest to other users as well.
I appreciate the knowledge of English for my sophistication.

THX

More
24 May 2017 12:29 #93594 by grump
I have neither the time nor inclination to send any configurations.
It's there if you choose to use it, if not what care i?

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds