Axis Crashes Using Ubuntu 16.04.2 x64, Preempt_RT, and a VM

More
16 Feb 2017 17:27 #88061 by joelittiken
Hello all,

I've been using LinuxCNC for several years now, ever since the LiveCD came with Ubuntu 6.06 I believe, but this happens to be my first time to the forum. I've been trying to get LinuxCNC running on an install of Ubuntu 16.04.2 x64 for the main purpose of better support for more modern hardware from Linux 4.x. Also, I'm pretty fond of Ubuntu and don't really feel a need to change from it.

Anyway, I'm doing some testing in a VirtualBox VM right now and I was able to build the PREEMPT_RT kernal (4.4.47-rt59) and install LinuxCNC without any hassle. When I try to start up any configuration that uses Axis for the display, however, the program crashes and I get this error:
ubuntutest@ubuntutest-VirtualBox:~$ linuxcnc
LINUXCNC - 2.7.8
Machine configuration directory is '/home/ubuntutest/linuxcnc/configs/by_machine.sherline.SherlineLathe'
Machine configuration file is 'SherlineLathe_inch.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
Found file(lib): /usr/share/linuxcnc/hallib/core_stepper.hal
Note: Using POSIX realtime
Unexpected realtime delay on task 0
This Message will only display once per session.
Run the Latency Test and resolve before continuing.
Found file(REL): ./standard_pinout.hal
config string '0x0378'
Linux parallel port @888 not found
Linux parallel port @888 not found

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/axis", line 3141, in <module>
    o = MyOpengl(widgets.preview_frame, width=400, height=300, double=1, depth=1)
  File "/usr/bin/axis", line 353, in __init__
    Opengl.__init__(self, *args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 164, in __init__
    apply(RawOpengl.__init__, (self, master, cnf), kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 112, in __init__
    Togl.__init__(self, master, cnf, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/rs274/OpenGLTk.py", line 38, in __init__
    Widget.__init__(self, master, 'togl', cnf, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 2094, in __init__
    (widgetName, self._w) + extra + self._options(cnf))
_tkinter.TclError: NULL main window
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
task: 265 cycles, min=0.000004, max=0.012277, avg=0.009586, 0 latency excursions (> 10x expected cycle time of 0.010000s)
Note: Using POSIX realtime
LinuxCNC terminated with an error.  You can find more information in the log:
    /home/ubuntutest/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
    /home/ubuntutest/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

I was initially thinking this might be a problem with the VirtualBox graphics drivers since I've had issues with drivers such as AMD's FGLRX in the past. I tried disabling the VirtualBox graphics drivers, however, and had the same issues. I also tried using other user interfaces such as mini, touchy, tk, etc. and they all worked perfectly. This problem is just specific to Axis. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen, or by chance know what the culprit is and how I could fix it?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any ideas any of you may have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2017 18:44 #88063 by Todd Zuercher
Sounds like the usual OpenGL problem with the graphics driver. The other UIs you mentioned don't use GL.

More
11 Aug 2017 01:19 #97321 by joel.maxuel
Hey Joe,
Did you ever find a solution to this error? I am getting the same (_tkinter.TclError: NULL main window) on bare metal (Compaq laptop) running Debian Stretch.

More
11 Aug 2017 11:27 #97333 by joelittiken
Joel,

Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out what the problem was. I tried disabling the graphics drivers and even tried booting with only the default mesa driver enabled, neither of which worked. I even used a variety of different Ubuntu releases, different kernels, and ran it on VirtualBox, VMware, and bare metal. For the time being I just went back to what I was using before (Ubuntu 12.04 + RTAI) but hopefully sometime I can get it figured out. If you get it working, please let me know. I'm curious to see what the solution is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joel.maxuel

More
11 Aug 2017 22:43 #97350 by joel.maxuel

Joel,

Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out what the problem was. I tried disabling the graphics drivers and even tried booting with only the default mesa driver enabled, neither of which worked. I even used a variety of different Ubuntu releases, different kernels, and ran it on VirtualBox, VMware, and bare metal. For the time being I just went back to what I was using before (Ubuntu 12.04 + RTAI) but hopefully sometime I can get it figured out. If you get it working, please let me know. I'm curious to see what the solution is.

I have not figured out the problem either, but I have a live Axis now. Looks like I had to compile from source, and I followed the attachment from the admin's Mint post .
I made a mistake where I followed the directions too closely...now I am compiling a second time (seems the last debuild command can be ignored), and have yet to reboot, but I completed a simulation in axis without any crashes.

I hope this helps you as well.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds