Time to update. I think..

More
24 Apr 2017 23:19 #92015 by beltramidave

Buildbot.linuxcnc.org
You need to add repositories and then update, explained in that page.

Followed the directions the best I could. Did not have " /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-buildbot.list:", so I added:
deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid 2.7-rt
deb-src buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid 2.7-rt
to the Software Sources - Other software page.

Then I did the sudo update and install. Update went well, but got unmet dependencies on install. I attached a screenshot.
Thanks for all of the help, so far!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2017 02:52 #92026 by Todd Zuercher
Is "deb linuxcnc.org lucid base" in your source list? That should take care of that dependency problem. If you removed or disabled that one it would cause that problem.

More
25 Apr 2017 11:31 #92049 by beltramidave

Is "deb linuxcnc.org lucid base" in your source list? That should take care of that dependency problem. If you removed or disabled that one it would cause that problem.

No, is that the exact wording that I need? The only things in my source list are the 2 items from the buildbot site (in the above post).

More
25 Apr 2017 13:47 #92056 by Todd Zuercher
I think maybe it didn't copy and paste right, the website turned it into a link.
deb http://linuxcnc.org lucid base

More
25 Apr 2017 17:15 #92083 by beltramidave
Thanks Todd. That help get rid of one of the dependencies. I had to do more searching for libboost-python and tclx, but I did finally get them and have 2.7.8 installed with Lucid 10.04. Yea!!

Now back to my original problem, which was my screen resolution. Anybody have some ideas for me on that? Monitor capable of 1280x1024, but max resolution in monitor set up is 1024x760.

Thanks

More
25 Apr 2017 20:51 #92104 by Todd Zuercher
That is probably more of a generic Linux problem, try googling it. (with a mention of your specific hardware.)

More
25 Apr 2017 21:07 #92107 by beltramidave
Thanks Todd for all your help.
I am now able to get the correct resolution using xrandr commands, but I can't make it persistent, despite what I can find on the web.. Will keep searching.

More
26 Apr 2017 02:11 #92116 by Todd Zuercher
there is a way to make it stick. I went through similar problems setting up Mythbuntu once. But I can't remember what file I had to edit to make it work permanently.

More
26 Apr 2017 15:47 #92156 by beltramidave

there is a way to make it stick. I went through similar problems setting up Mythbuntu once. But I can't remember what file I had to edit to make it work permanently.

Finally figured it all out! I had to create a xorg.conf file in </etc/X11> first, then I added what is in the attachment to it. Saved, rebooted and everything worked. I happened to check my latency afterwards and it also decreased almost in half from from just about 20k to below 10k. My guess is because I specified a video driver as well. Don't even know what a "fbdev" driver is, but that is whar was in my xorg.conf.failsafe file.

So just an update to what I accomplished (which may be minor to some of you):
1. updated from Linuxcnc2.5 to 2.7.8 running Ubuntu 10.04
2. corrected my screen resolution and made it persistent
3. bonus..lowered my latency

Thanks Todd for sticking with me to get this resolved!

Dave
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds