Change nouveau to vesa

More
06 May 2017 05:04 #92727 by npostma
Hi All,

First post so lets introduce myself. I am a beginner in cnc that is building a 3-axis machine.With my current PC it 'runs' but not fast, and the PC is quite slow. Almost stuck when the machine is on. I have linux experience (servers, not desktops). Recently someone donated a new PC for my project (3.4 GHZ i7 32GB nvidea 210gt) and the first latency test is promising. Long time below 2000 (ns) with a occasional spike around 12 000. The old pc had a latency around 40 000. only after i disabled nouveau. Before that it was around 300 000. I know 12 000 is still a good figure, but I want it stable. In my experience the vesa driver will get me there.

I am a little bit stuck. A lot has written about it but not quite the situation I am in. This OS version uses Xorg without a config file. When I try to generate one with Xorg -configure this is what I got: "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed."

I've tried to disable nouveau in the modprobe.d but no luck there. How do I get Xorg to generate me a good config that I can modify?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2017 23:58 #92888 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Change nouveau to vesa
You could try just creating the xorg.conf file by hand, and pasting-in examples from the internet.
It isn't scientific, but you might hit a working file in not too many iterations.

But, frankly, if you set the base thread to 25k the very occasional 12k spike really won't ever be a problem.

More
09 May 2017 17:52 #92939 by npostma
Replied by npostma on topic Change nouveau to vesa
After some testing I found out that the current driver is vesa. Adding only nouveau in the xorg.conf gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor.

The strage thing is that my max resolution with vesa is 800x600. How do I get a better resolution?

More
09 May 2017 22:19 #92958 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Change nouveau to vesa
Add the line mentioned in the sear results after you enable noveau, at the grub screen and try again.
www.google.com/#q=nomodeset+nouveau
Had that problem a while back.

More
10 May 2017 17:34 #92975 by npostma
Thanks but I've tried that already. Add that while booting (Editing GRUB) but no success. Strange things are happening

- First of all i wanted vesa, now iv'e got it I don't want it :-D. A resolution of 800x600 is to small
- Second: Bigger resolutions gives a blurry unreadable screen. Cant get it sharp and sometimes only 800*600 is available. Quite strange

So in a desperate attempt I added jessie backports to my sources.list to upgrade some of the drivers. A total screwup and dependency hell is what happened. So I tried installing Ubuntu. The setup gave me a flickering colorful screen but no setup.

I am starting to think that the hardware is to 'new' for the distro versions LinuxCNC is based on. To bad Jessie is not supported for machine control. So now I am trying to get my hands on a 8800GT to replace the GT218, Or would ATI make it a better system?

More
10 May 2017 18:42 #92983 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Change nouveau to vesa
Yes ATI is in most cases beter for latency but worse for power usage.
Then again having a machine with 11KW spindle and saving a few Wats on graphic is useless! :)
Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL are beter as far as latency goes, have both of them on running systems, workstation cards so do not have to much power saving stuff in them.

More
11 May 2017 09:55 #93013 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Change nouveau to vesa

- First of all i wanted vesa, now iv'e got it I don't want it :-D. A resolution of 800x600 is to small

You could probably set an explicit resolution to match the native resolution of the monitor the "old fashioned way" which is by creating/editing an xorg.conf file. There are lots of more modern ways (xrandr for example) but I can't claim to have ever made any of them work.

More
13 May 2017 15:17 - 13 May 2017 17:32 #93141 by npostma
Ive changed the GT218 for a AMD FirePro v7900 on a displayport. Automatic resolution detection is great, its all there! But a new problem has occurred. When I start glxgears I dont see them. I get a black screen. Whats wrong?

[EDIT]
Alright: bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109132 fixed my Gears :-)

Now the tuning starts. The latency is all over the place. from < 1000 to 25 000.

[EDIT2]

Alright. i've:

1 - added GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="lapic quiet rootdelay=5 radeon.modeset=0 isolcpus=1 acpi_irq_nobalance noirqbalance pci=nomsi" to /etc/default/grub
2 - Removed my ~/.drirc (which i created to get the gears working in the first place)

Not sure what happened (which setting had effect on what) but the results are nice.
- Latency stays below 4500, even with 5x GLX Gears and browsing with iceweasel, etc.
- The selectable resolution went from 2540x1400 to 1280x1024. Looking back at the xorg log I see that radeon was deteting resolutions at first. But now i see vesa is detecting resolutions.
- GLX Gears is working without the .drirc file. So one of the settings in the kernel parameters is fixing it. (I think its the radeon,modeset=0)
Last edit: 13 May 2017 17:32 by npostma.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds