LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch

More
22 Jun 2017 20:04 #94800 by 10K
Maybe this is a little too bleeding edge, but I tried installing LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch. Surprisingly, I found a recent RT-preempt kernel in the Stretch repository that I didn't have to compile.
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.9.0-3-rt-686-pae
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.9.0-3-rt-686-pae

I tried installing LinuxCNC
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace

and got unmet dependencies
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linuxcnc-uspace : Depends: libboost-python1.55.0 but it is not installable
                   Depends: python-gst0.10 but it is not installable
                   Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-base but it is not installable
                   Recommends: linuxcnc-doc-en but it is not going to be installed or
                               linuxcnc-doc
                   Recommends: hostmot2-firmware-all but it is not going to be installed
                   Recommends: linux-image-rt-686-pae but it is not going to be installed

I installed libboost but it's version 1.62. That doesn't work. So I temporarily used the Jessie repository (yeah, I know, not a good thing), and got LinuxCNC installed with libboost 1.55. It runs, but very slowly.

Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2017 22:08 - 22 Jun 2017 22:10 #94811 by grump
Replied by grump on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
I am not sure which repository does the trick but I added wheezy and jessy backports to my /etc/apt/sources.list.
I am using linux-image-4.9.0-3-rt-686-pae with lxde, synaptic sees and installs lcnc with no issues.
Edit:
Net install stretch today.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2017 22:10 by grump.

More
22 Jun 2017 22:57 #94813 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
So you were running Debian Stretch, and you installed LinuxCNC using wheezy and jessie-backports repositories? That does not make sense to me. Maybe I misunderstood, and you're running Debian Wheezy or Jessie, but with a 4.9.0 rt kernel. That makes sense. I have another system running Jessie 8.6 with a 4.6.0 rt kernel, and that works fine, and LinuxCNC installs without difficulty.

It's Debian Stretch that's breaking dependencies, not the rt kernel.

More
23 Jun 2017 08:17 #94822 by grump
Nope stretch is fine just add extra repositories fin order to pick up the dependencies that synaptic looks for and needs to install lcnc it is simple and quick.
I was using stretch with lxde and 4.9.0.2 until yesterday when I downloaded the testing net install from here cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/...latest/amd64/iso-cd/
Then added lxde-core, lxrandr, lxtask, reboot to gui and install whatever I want via synaptic after adding the backports.
Why complicate what is already simple?

More
23 Jun 2017 14:37 #94843 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
I searched the Debian repositories, and the only place that has libboost-python1.55.0 is Jessie
https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=libboost-python1.55.0

I'm running an i386 version of Stretch and XFCE, so maybe that's why my experience is different than yours.

Using the Jessie repository as described in my first post again, I got LinuxCNC installed again. And again, it runs slow as molasses, and I get Servo times over 100,000 us. Popping up the Latency Test screen takes over a minute and the mouse moves with about a 15 second delay..

Maybe this computer is too slow. Maybe it does not like python1.55.0. Maybe it would run better on an X64 version. Maybe I need to set some switches in Grub or in my BIOS. Maybe the 4.6.0 rt kernel would work better. Ah, so much to try. It's never easy.

More
24 Jun 2017 02:01 #94878 by sivaraj
Replied by sivaraj on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
This kernel available in jessie backport repository

More
24 Jun 2017 17:44 #94893 by skunkworks
There are a couple test livecd's on linuxcnc.org. They are using rt_preempt (not rtai) So marginal for software stepgen..

www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-amd64-rtpreempt/

sam
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
24 Jun 2017 21:15 #94900 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Debian Stretch
I found on my 32 bit hardware that it was unusable on the pre-emptive kernel. Not as bad as yours though. Latency was around 300,000 so I upgraded to a 64 bit PC. After a few experiments with different distros, I installed Linux Mint and never looked back as it had complete driver support without the need for any back ports or non standard repositories.

More
24 Jun 2017 22:48 #94902 by grump
Downloaded and run in qemu to check and it seems fine apart from the xfce which is not my preferred gui (just being pedantic).
I'll install and run it for real tomorrow and put it through its paces, all good fun.

I didn't realise there is a lcnc testing page until now, thanks.

More
24 Jun 2017 22:52 #94903 by skunkworks
It is only a few days old.. ;)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds