What is BeagleBone?

More
03 Jun 2013 00:59 - 03 Jun 2013 01:03 #35150 by cncdreamer
Replied by cncdreamer on topic What is BeagleBone?
Jon:

Trying to turn off encryption within ssh seems like an oxymoron.

Why not forget about forwarding X11 traffic within ssh and just run it raw the way it was done in the good old days?

1) configure the Xserver host (the one with the KVM) to allow the Xserver to listen to TCP connections. Details vary depending on the specific Linux distribution and desktop manager. For example, on my Ubuntu 10.04LTS host running GDM, I had to edit the /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas file to change 'true' to 'false' in the stanza

---
<schema>
<key>security/DisallowTCP</key>
<signature>b</signature>
<default>true</default> <--- change to 'false'
</schema>
---

After saving the file, restart gdm using 'sudo service gdm restart', and log in again.

Things were simpler in the old days but this is the price we pay for fancy-schmanzy Linux distributions with their we-can-do-it-for-you desktop managers.

2) authorize the Xserver to accept connections from the Xclient host (the one running LinuxCNC). This is accomplished using 'xhost <xclient host ip>' or just "xhost +' to run promiscuously..

3) ssh from the Xserver host to the Xclient host (without the -X option); set the DISPLAY environment variable to point back to the Xserver display (DISPLAY=<xserver host ip>:0; export DISPLAY). Here I assumed display 0.

4) invoke linuxcnc and control it from the Xserver host.

Good luck!

Regards,
Kent
Last edit: 03 Jun 2013 01:03 by cncdreamer. Reason: added "without the -X option"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 07:25 #35162 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic What is BeagleBone?

Jon:

Trying to turn off encryption within ssh seems like an oxymoron.

Why not forget about forwarding X11 traffic within ssh and just run it raw the way it was done in the good old days?

Yes, I used to do it this way. But, I'm not really sure it makes that much
difference. I will have to try it and compare.

Jon

More
19 Jun 2013 10:07 #35800 by otto_pjm
Replied by otto_pjm on topic What is BeagleBone?
I have a BBB on order after seeing Charles progress with 3D printing, is anybody running machines with it at this point, I mean other than 3D printers of course? The cape discussed in the PMDX hardware thread sounds like it would be nice to have. I was able to connect the RPi directly to my routers drivers, so I suspect I could get away with the same setup for a test with the BBB.

I should have the BBB tomorrow, and am getting the boot image Charles posted ready to go tonight, I'd love to hear about anyone's experience getting a machine running with it.

Pete

More
04 Jul 2013 00:00 #36282 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic What is BeagleBone?
Hi Pete

I finaly managed to have a runnig BBB with ethernet cable and usb cable. After Charles corrections in bis blog I was able to load my micro memory card and start from that. See now two blue led's what seems to be correct.

Now I have to find a way to get the console...

Maybe you can give me a hint as soon as you reach that point..
We seem to be very few on that track.

Mike

More
04 Jul 2013 08:10 #36295 by otto_pjm
Hey Mike,

As far as console, I'm using a USB to serial cable, so I can watch it boot and then login at the command prompt once it's booted. So far only with the default eMMC image, as I can't get the SD card with Charles image to be recognized by the BBB. If you have an HDMI monitor you can run X locally, I had to set the resolution to get any of my TVs to sync with it. I think I used 1280x720 and it worked quite well. I was going to try another image on the SD and see if I can get it to read anything from the SD, so far I haven't had any luck, with the couple of SDs and adapters I have.- download just finished so hopefully I can verify the cards soon.

I used this USB to serial adaptor, there is a picture of it correctly plugged into a BBB on this page as well, that part has worked great. You'll need a driver for your platform, it was very easy to get going on my Mac.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes.

Pete

More
05 Jul 2013 00:44 #36310 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Pete
I'm with the big help of Charles some steps further.

The description how to use Windows is now corrected and working fine.
I had to use an usb2 hub, usb3 hub was not supported.
Also i swaped positions to get the correct SDA /SDB for my memories.

My biggest mistake was the missing ethernet cable for online connectivity.
I can now easily usw my tablet via WLAN and SSH.

After that the setup scrpit worked super. Placing microssd in the boardsplug.
Holding down bootswitch at powerup...All fine.

Now my next chalange is to use Nexus10 for xwindows.
Seems not too easy to find the 'all working correct' APP.

Mike

More
05 Jul 2013 18:56 #36330 by Mike_Eitel
Hi Pete
It's wotking now. I use a PC, using W7/64Ulti. ,Bitvise SSH /SFTP Client as filemanager and Xming as X11 window server.

In my environement I have ca 1.5 sec update rate for the axis screen.
That's not nicely fast so would like to find a way via hdmi or VGA or LCD.

Probably I have to dig into the SW part to change the pin layout. Enough to learn the next time.

Mike

P.S.
Charles was very nice with me. without his help and hints, barely any chance for me.

More
06 Jul 2013 07:43 #36349 by otto_pjm
So as is often the case, if I'd have read things a bit more closely, things would likely have worked sooner. I have it booting OK now after running the eMMC flasher. I had also forgotten that Charles was running it headless, so I ripped out the disable display bits, and the monitor works, but of course there's no X server, so I'll have to look at the build bits and see if I can get that back in.

There seem to be a tremendous amount of gpio pins used in the LinuxCNC config, and it sounds like some may be used for the HDMI, so I'll have to look at which pins are used where and see what I can get going. I don't have a 3D printer and don't plan to use a BeBoPr with the BBB. So I just need open gpio to drive 4 axises, and few for input.

Has anyone built an image with an X Server and gpios that don't conflict with HDMI already? That would certainly save some time if such a build exists. I'll start looking into it, do we know that the BBB can't run both X and LinuxCNC at this point?

One more question for Michael, is there a debugger-example.hal file somewhere, I see it referenced in the readme, but I don't see it on the filesystem.

Thanks

Pete

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds