M Code for 3D printing

More
12 Apr 2014 21:22 #45887 by t1m0n
M Code for 3D printing was created by t1m0n
Hi, I found some integrations of LinuxCNC for 3d printing. But these all are with beagle bone.
I don't want to use a beagle bone. I want to use a desktop pc for 3d printing with linuxcnc.

So, I think I have to customize linuxcnc for 3d printing by myself.
I use FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) with standard 3 axis kinematic.

I read in LinuxCNC User Manual that I can create user specific M Codes.
Thats good because I found this page: reprap.org/wiki/MCodeReference
All these regards are integrable without trouble.

But than I found this list: reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_User_Manual:_RepRapGCodes
This list is longer and m codes are used which are under M100.

My question is for all who has experience with linuxcnc and 3d printing:
- Which commands are really required?
- Is the small list complete and enough for a 3d printer?
- Are the commands dependent from slicer?
- Exist a suitable solution for my problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2014 07:17 #45930 by cdsteinkuehler

My question is for all who has experience with linuxcnc and 3d printing:
- Which commands are really required?
- Is the small list complete and enough for a 3d printer?

You really only need the G1 command working. You can comment out everything else and manually set the temperature if you want. That said, there are only a few M codes to set the temperature of the bed and the extruder that are easy to support and make printing easier.

- Are the commands dependent from slicer?

Yes, and some slicers are better than others at generating "real" gcode intended for Mach/LinuxCNC. I use Slic3r, which has bugs if you export to LinuxCNC gcode, so I generate "RepRap" flavor gcode and post-process with a simple sed script.

- Exist a suitable solution for my problem?

Yes. The BeagleBone configuration examples can be used as a starting point for printing with an x86 machine running LinuxCNC. The only difference will be how you control the motors (the BeagleBone uses PRU based step/dir generation, while the PC will use HAL based software stepgen or something like a Mesa card). The nc programs for the custom gcodes, and the side panel for monitoring extruder and bed temperature can all be copied to LinuxCNC on any supported flavor of machine.

If you have further questions, please ask on the mailing list...I don't generally frequent the forums, but was asked specifically to look at your post. I'm running on the BeagleBone now, but started off printing from a standard x86 Debian install using the PREEMPT_RT kernel, software stepgen, and the parallel port connected to a RAMPS board:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds