JA14 not homing...

More
26 May 2016 20:03 #75122 by mjohnsonsa
I installed the latest version of JA14 (linuxcnc-uspace_2.8.0~pre1.ja~joints.axes14~b536f9c_i386.deb) and configured it completely using pncconf with a fresh profile. Now when I go to home any axis it will just zero out the coordinate wherever that axis is at the time hitting the homing button and add the little target icon next to the axis showing it is homed. The axis never actually moves to the limit location. Is this a bug or is there a problem in my config? Configs attached...

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2016 21:05 #75124 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic JA14 not homing...
Certainly looks rather bug like. If these are the config files you were running. (Nothing jumps out to me as wrong.) But I have not had time to play with JA14 much, and I think that the developers have been thrashing on it pretty hard lately. You might try updating or backdating to a newer or older version and see if the behavior is the same.

Hopefully Andy Pugh can weigh in, I think he's been twiddling with the homing routines a little lately.

More
26 May 2016 22:39 #75126 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic JA14 not homing...
It looks like PNCconf has put the homing details in the [AXIS_] stanzas rather than the [JOINT_] stanzas.

If you move the HOME_...... lines into the corresponding JOINT sections it should home.

Is this your gantry, or something else?

More
26 May 2016 22:57 #75127 by mjohnsonsa
Replied by mjohnsonsa on topic JA14 not homing...
That worked! Thanks Andy, never would have figured that out. Can you fix this in pncconf so I can still use the tool when changes are needed or would you recommend just hand configuring from now on.

More
26 May 2016 23:01 - 26 May 2016 23:03 #75128 by mjohnsonsa
One more thing, the Y and Y2 steppers are not homing independently to correct any racking, once the first limit hits on one side both steppers stop, that is the reason I am using JA14... how do I fix that?

EDIT: It actually appears that the Y limit switch stops both and the Y2 limit switch does nothing. Was this something I configured incorrectly in pncconf or another bug?
Last edit: 26 May 2016 23:03 by mjohnsonsa.

More
26 May 2016 23:06 #75129 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic JA14 not homing...
I'd say you can't use Pncconf to configure a JA configuration 100%. Check the hal connections for your home switches.

JT

More
27 May 2016 00:51 #75134 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic JA14 not homing...
Doesn't JA14 use negative home sequence numbers for synchronized homing?
Hmm where did I see that...

More
27 May 2016 00:54 #75135 by andypugh

Doesn't JA14 use negative home sequence numbers for synchronized homing?

Yes, that's a new feature. You need to look in the scratch docs to find it.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/doc/scratch/v2.8.0....html#_home_sequence

More
27 May 2016 01:43 #75137 by mjohnsonsa
So if I understand correctly the whole purpose of the JA14 branch is if you have multiple steppers on a single Axis correct? Where is the sample code that explains how to configure the dual steppers on an axis to home independently? That appears to be the last part of this process that I am not sure how to do. I have a bunch of code for doing this in the .hal file with the gantry component but isn't it much simpler to do with the JA14 branch? Can someone point me on how to do it? My .hal file is attached.

My second Y axis stepper should be on hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.input-03...
Attachments:

More
27 May 2016 09:45 - 27 May 2016 09:46 #75142 by andypugh

So if I understand correctly the whole purpose of the JA14 branch is if you have multiple steppers on a single Axis correct?

That is part of it. It is really intended to do away with the assumption that is implicit in so many parts of the system that there is one motor per cartesian axis, and motor 0 drives axis X. The real drive is to make non-cartesin machines such as robots and delta-type printers a lot less trouble to work with.

Where is the sample code that explains how to configure the dual steppers on an axis to home independently?.

There is a snapshot of the Joints_Axes documentation here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/
However this was taken just before tandem homing was introduced, so that isn't described there.

However those docs do describe how to configure for a gantry:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/ja/html/getting-st...#_kinematics_modules

And you need to crawl through the buildbot scratch docs to find the tandem homing:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/doc/scratch/v2.8.0....html#_home_sequence

But, briefly:
If you start with a normal XYZ configuration you would:
1) Change
loadrt trivkins
to
loadrt trivkins coordinates=XYYZ
That couples X to joint 0, Y to joints 1 and 2, Z to joint 3. Just change the XYYZ sequence to alter that.
2) Make sure that the INI file has Three [AXIS_] sections, [AXIS_X], [AXIS_Y], [AXIS_Z]
3) Make sure that you have Four [JOINTS_] sections. For the XYYZ config the [JOINT_1] and [JOINT_2] sections will normally be identical, except for very frequently having different signs for the step scale.
4) Set up the homing sequence so that the tandem axis joints share the same _negative_ home sequence number. Note that sequence -2 will still run after sequence 1.

Tandem homing will only work if both joints of the tandem axis have home switches and they are connected to the correct HAL pins.
Last edit: 27 May 2016 09:46 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds