Gmoccapy and removable rotary axis

More
20 Sep 2017 08:16 #99154 by babinda01
Hi
I am just retrofitting a milling machine, and it has a removable rotary axis. Can anyone please advise how/if I can configure gmoccapy to be a standard 3 axis if the rotary table has been removed from the machine, or once the 4th axis fitted, it will run as 4 axis - possibly by checking a check box or similar.
I was initially thinking of having 2 seperate config files and associated ui's, but that is a bit messy, and I would like Gmoccapy to start automatically on pc startup.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2017 11:36 #99157 by tecno
Why?
Easiest to have it setup for A-axis and when unconnected it will do just fine with 3-axis, this is the way I will have it on my mill.

More
20 Sep 2017 18:57 #99171 by newbynobi
Use only one config, even if the A axis ist not connected, or use two inifiles in one config folder, so the parameter and var files can ne shared by both configs.

Norbert

More
20 Sep 2017 20:47 #99180 by babinda01
Hi
Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should have given a little more info..... The machine is set up with a Mesa 5i44 and 2x 7i29's, and so is set up as closed loop system. When the A axis is off the machine, I need to make sure that the 4th drive is not enabled and that I wont get any error signals from that drive.

More
20 Sep 2017 21:15 #99182 by Todd Zuercher
It would not be hard to create a set of custom M-codes that enable and disables the A-axis (and short circuits the feedback loop so you don't get any alarms). Plus if it is possible I'd set up a loop back circuit in the plug where you disconnect the A-axis so that Linuxcnc knows when it's unplugged, and also disables/prevents enabling the A-axis when it's unplugged.

More
21 Sep 2017 09:38 #99197 by babinda01
Hi Todd
Sounds perfect.....Thanks heaps for your advise. I will give it a go ans see how I manage.

Andrew

More
22 Sep 2017 02:49 - 22 Sep 2017 02:49 #99238 by andypugh
I have a few different configs for my mill. They all share most of the HAL files (which are split into spindle, main 3 axes and various "extras" for 4-axis, gear-hobbing or horizontal-spindle work.) Several INI files in the same config directory is the way to do this. Then the vars and tools are shared, and most config work only needs to be set in one file.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2017 02:49 by andypugh.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds